Chili Lime Chicken Marinade

by Sharon on April 19, 2013

Chili Lime Chicken-026

Usually once a week I make Joe his favourite ‘chicken & frites’ for dinner. It’s a ‘kill two meals with one stone’ option as I opt out of the frites component of the meal and have a massive green salad with my chicken. However, this was starting to become super dull so I needed a way to add some pizazz to this regular meal.

Chili Lime Chicken--048

And thus, my chili lime marinade was born. Like most of my recipes it’s simple with a short ingredient list.

Start with the juice of 2 limes. The best way to get the most juice out of your fruit is to give it a roll with the palms of your hands. This loosens the juice from the pulp.

Add some olive oil, chili powder, minced garlic and of course sea salt and pepper.

026 (640x318)

Shake it all together in a small mason jar.

029 (640x417)

030 (640x427)

Meanwhile rinse and pat dry your chicken, place it in a glass container and season it with…wait for it…sea salt and pepper!

Pour the marinade over your breasts and give them a nice massage (snicker snicker)

Place in your fridge for 3 hours or overnight.

034 (640x402)

The result is juicy chicken with a layers of garlicky, spicy, citrusy flavours that are such and improvement from the usual plain, same old same old.

Chili Lime Chicken--050

Enjoy!

Serves 2

Chili Lime Chicken Marinade
Save RecipeSave Recipe

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • sea salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 chicken breasts

1. Shake all ingredients together in a small mason jar.
  2. Pour marinade over chicken breasts and massage well.
  3. Leave in fridge, covered, for 3 hours.
7.6.6

lois July 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm
What temperature and for how long does this go in the oven?!
Sharon July 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm
Hi Lois:) I cook my chicken for 40 minutes at 375. Check to make sure there is no pink in the centre.
Tori February 12, 2014 at 7:43 pm
Hi! Found this on Pinterest and made it tonight for me and my husband and it was SO GOOD! Loved the lime flavor! We will definitely make it again it was so easy :) thank you for sharing it
Sharon February 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm
Thanks Tori! I love this and make it all the time. It's also good cold in salads. :)
cassandra March 26, 2014 at 10:45 am
Made this last weekend. We grilled them...this is the best marinade I have ever had! Having it again this weekend when the kids come home. Thank you for sharing this!
Sharon March 26, 2014 at 11:25 am
Hey thanks, Cassandra! I love this one too. We have it almost weekly. :)
Tim October 4, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Hi, and a big big BIG thank you for a simple but brilliant tasting Lime and Chilli marinade recipe. Now a weekly feature meal in our house! (We butterfly cut the Chicken breasts, marinate for 24 hours and oven bake. Takes about 20 -25 minutes guarantees cooked through AND moist)
Sharon October 4, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Thank YOU Tim for the nice comment. Muchly appreciated. :) And, it is a favourite, weekly occurrence in our house too. Great idea about butterflying the chicken to cut sown on cooking time!
Amber December 26, 2014 at 4:13 pm
This was a brilliant, brilliant marinade. Thank you so much for sharing! We grilled chicken wings and thighs on the bbq pit, and even beef and it was absolutely delicious! We did add some sprigs of fresh rosemary for the beef... and it tasted superb. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
Sharon December 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Thank you so much Amber. :) I'm with you on this recipe, big time! We probably have it once a week. It tastes really good as cold chicken, too. FYI. Great for sandwiches. Have a happy New Year!
richard leon March 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
can you use this marinade for shrimp?
richard leon March 7, 2016 at 3:43 pm
can you use this marinade for shrimp? and instead of plain chili powder can i used crushed chipotle powder?
Sharon March 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm
Hey Richard! I haven't used this marinade for shrimp, but I'm sure it would work fine. I also think chipotle powder would be awesome! I love chipotle anything. :)
Myla March 26, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Love this recipe!!!!
Sharon March 27, 2017 at 8:13 am
Thanks Myla! This is has been a staple for us for years now. So glad you enjoy it. :)