Avocado Tuna Salad

by Sharon on May 22, 2013

Avocado Tuna Salad

When I first started my blog, a health minded co-worker, Meaghan, asked me if I had ever subbed avocado for mayo in a tuna salad. I hadn’t tried it before and honestly, I’m kicking myself that I’ve waited this long. It’s so.darn.good.

Tuna salad is something that I used to enjoy as a kid. Foot long tuna subs on white buns. Yikes! Now, generally, I steer clear of it as, in my opinion, mayo is pretty much a waste of calories. Well, unless I’m dipping fries into it but, that’s neither here nor there.

This quick little lunch or light dinner couldn’t be simpler to make and if you are a mayo fan, you won’t miss it. Trust. I prepared this the same way I would have normally but used avocado instead of mayo. Oh, and I used the avocado shell as a bowl.

Take that mayo! AvocadoTunaSalad-004

Finely chop up some celery and red onion…

AvocadoTunaSalad-002

…add in lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, dried dill and the avocado.

AvocadoTunaSalad-011 Avocado Tuna Salad

Mash all this together with a fork.

AvocadoTunaSalad-012

Add in a tin of tuna and mix together well.

AvocadoTunaSalad-016

I then scooped this into the hollowed avocado and promptly devoured the entire thing. This was a fresh and satisfying meal. If you’re so inclined, toast up some bread and you’ve got a great sandwich. Thanks for the tip, Meaghan! I owe you one. :)

Avocado Tuna Salad

Avocado Tuna Salad

Serving Size: 1

• 1 avocado
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp celery, finely chopped
  • 1 tin tuna
  • sea salt, pepper & dried dill to taste

1. Cut avocado in 1/2, scoop out the middle and place in a bowl
  2. Add chopped onion and celery, lemon juice and seasonings and mix well
  3. Add in the tuna and mix again
  4. Place back into the avocado shells or have as a sandwich.

Click for Nutritional Stats

Jenny July 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Just wondering what size the tin of tuna is?

Sharon July 5, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi Jenny! I used a 150 gram tin of tuna.

Jan July 5, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This looks like such a great idea. I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon July 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Thanks, Jan! I love this dish:) I hope you enjoy it…

Michelle July 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm

oh yes yummy, I think this is a lovely way to make a packed lunch too!

Sharon July 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Absolutely, Michelle! Great idea:) Lots of protein to keep you charged for the rest of the day…

Lisa July 11, 2013 at 10:53 am

How many calories are in this and what is the break down of nutrients, so I can properly enter into My Fitness Pal? Thanks, looks yummy.

Sharon July 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hi Lisa! I hope you try this out it’s delicious:)
Below is the nutritional breakdown:
EDITED: Sorry Lisa, I have removed the nutritional breakdown info as it was brought to my attention that is was not accurate. There are sites that will calculate this info for you. Try sparkpeople.com perhaps?

Matthew July 15, 2013 at 10:14 am

You can create the recipe on Myfitnesspal and it will tell you the info :)

Sharon July 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thanks so much, Matthew!

ALJ July 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Looks great but the calories?
Ingredients say one avocado–but you are using a half? I don’t see how you can eat a 1/2 avocado and a tin of tuna for 212. Tuna in water 191 cal and an avocado is over 300–150 for half.

With 1/2 avocado and 4 0z tuna, that would have to be closer to 380 calories.

Sharon July 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Yes, you are correct. I simply used a calorie counter from the internet and trusted the feedback. I don’t actually post nutritional breakdowns on my site as I focus more on the quality of ingredients that you use than the amount of fat or calories. In the future I should just direct nutritional breakdown questions to a site that specializes in it. Thanks for pointing this out:)

JEWEL October 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Calories and fat are not the enemy when they come from healthy things such as avocado. Calories=energy

Sharon October 11, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Agreed! :)

sandy July 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm

This looks amazingly delicious. Can’t wait to make it, Thanks!

Sharon July 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks, Sandy! This is one of my faves…so quick and easy!

Sam July 28, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I can’t wait to try this!! :) I love mayo but making it myself is kind of not worth possibly wasting pastured eggs and good quality olive oil, so this avocado “mayo” is such an excellent alternative, thank you so much!!

Sam

PS – I think this dish would be excellent with a vegetable chip dehydrated in the oven with some ghee or other high smoke-point fat :)

Sharon July 28, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks, Sam:) Great suggestion! I love that this could double as a dip!

Roger August 2, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Just wanted to let you know that i love your site, i recently lost 52 pounds from intense dieting and exercise! These are just the recipes i need to stay where i am at, THANK YOU! (i eat this recipe at least 5-7 times a week)

Sharon August 5, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Thank you so much, Roger:) I’m glad you like the site. Congratulations on the weight loss! 52 pounds is an amazing achievement and well done for sticking to a plan of exercise and a healthy diet.

protein shake September 19, 2013 at 12:57 am

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say
that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing
to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Manuela October 10, 2013 at 8:08 am

Just wondering how many calories?

Sharon October 10, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Manuela! Thanks for checking out my site :) I don’t actually do nutrition breakdowns but there are many websites that specialize in it like sparkpeople.com.

how to lose weight October 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

Good blog you have got here.. It’s difficult to find good quality writing like yours these days.

I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom December 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Looks like tonight’s dinner! :)

Sharon December 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Great idea :) I hope you love it!

t25 review by shaun t January 31, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you
aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

Mimi February 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

This was so good! I had it for lunch and put it with some chopped tomatoes in a toasted wrap. Delicious!

Sharon February 14, 2014 at 11:04 am

Thanks Mimi! I love this healthy, versatile tuna recipe. I appreciate the nice comment! :)

Ashley H March 18, 2014 at 2:06 pm

This sounds amazing since my one year old cannot have any mayo, even the veganese. Unfortunately along with many other things he cannot have anything acidic. Any subs for the lemon juice or possibly omit? Maybe try oil? Thanks.

Sharon March 18, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Ashley! You could totally skip the juice. It adds a nice citrus flavour but isn’t necessary. No added oil would be needed either as the healthy fat from the avocado is enough. Enjoy! :)

Annemarie March 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Loved this…made it for supper this evening and added chopped tomatoes and wrapped with a lettuce leaf…was delicious!!! Thank you. :)

Sharon March 29, 2014 at 11:29 pm

This is a favourite of mine! Great idea to wrap it with a lettuce leaf. Sounds fresh for springtime. :)

Minecraft Premium Account May 22, 2014 at 10:20 am

I really ljke your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Diid you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would likee to find out where u got this from.
thanks a lot

Sharon May 22, 2014 at 11:50 am

Thanks so much! There’s a link at the bottom of the page to the designer.

Lauren May 22, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Hi! Is this something that you would have to eat all in one day since the avocado turns brown? If not, how long do you think a batch would last in the fridge?

Thanks!!

Sharon May 22, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Hey Lauren! I wouldn’t recommend letting it sit as it would turn brown and probably lose it’s flavour. This is definitely something to eat right away. Have a great weekend! :)

超oakley オークリー サングラス men s lifestyle oakley breadbox July 22, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and reporting!
Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve added you guys to my personal blogroll.

Erin August 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

Sounds good

Sharon August 18, 2014 at 9:05 am

Thanks Erin! This ones a keeper. :)

Jessica October 13, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I made this over the weekend and my fiancee and I loved it!

Sharon October 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Awesome! I love it when it’s a team effort. :)

Natasha May 22, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Would the avocado stay good for the following day if made the night before? Would the lemon keep it from spoiling? Trying to get back on track for healthy eating and find healthy lunches for work…

Sharon May 23, 2015 at 7:30 am

Hey Natasha! I find that the lemon juice does help to keep it from oxidizing if you mash the avocado and lemon together first then add the rest. It’s not the best for making ahead but it’s for sure better than an unhealthy bought lunch. I’m also a big fan of heating up leftovers for nutritious lunches.

Vicky September 8, 2015 at 12:59 pm

These look so yummy! I just recently posted a recipe round-up of the best low carb lunches and this was one of my favorites! Here’s the whole list: http://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/quick-bites/the-best-low-carb-lunches-to-go/

Sharon September 8, 2015 at 3:34 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks so much Vicky. :)

Nick November 7, 2015 at 9:09 am

Just made this, as luck would have it I had all of the ingredients apart from the Dill, so I added a dill pickle, so, so good. Thanks for the recipe, this is definitely a favourite already.

Sharon November 7, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Dill pickle sounds even better! Thanks Nick. :)

Paige January 11, 2016 at 11:44 pm

I just made this for my lunch tomorrow. It is delicious! I’m going to put it on Wasa crackers, one of my favorite ways to eat chicken and tuna salad. Thanks so much for sharing this, it’s going to become a go-to recipe.

Sharon January 13, 2016 at 1:17 pm

My pleasure Paige! It’s a personal fave so I’m so glad you enjoyed it. :)

Claudine January 30, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Hello,

I’m not very good at cooking and sometimes no patient so I tried this healthy quick recipe and I liked it.
Very easy to do, quick and I was quite full (but maybe I have a small stomach). I had a bit of brown bread with it.
It was a bit dry but very slightly, I didn’t ad any mayo. I only changed the amount of lemon juice, I put only half as I’m not a massive fan of lemon. In the end it was tasty :)

Thank you very much for sharing this recipe. I will show your blog to friends.

Sharon January 31, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Thanks so much Claudine! This recipe is a personal favourite. :) Thank you for sharing my blog!!