Homemade Tater Tots with Caramelized Onion – Gluten Free

by Sharon on April 14, 2014

Homemade Tater Tots

When I first moved out on my own and started ‘cooking’, Tater Tots, along with Mr. Noodles, were pretty much staples of my diet. Getting those little gems perfectly browned and crispy was my claim to fame. Now that my cooking skills have evolved to include more than just reheating packaged food, this old favourite is getting The Honour System treatment!

We had baked potatoes with dinner the night before I made these tater tots, so I tossed an extra potato in. After it cooled, I put it into a baggie and stored it in the fridge overnight.

Homemade Tater Tots

To up things to the next level, I added in caramelized onions. They are pretty easy to whip up, click here for how I caramelize onions. I advise making a full batch even though you won’t need them all for this recipe. They are pretty versatile and taste great in sauces or frittatas or even in a sandwich. Yum!

Peel the cooled potato and grate it up. Mix in the onions and add sea salt and fresh pepper. Mix it all together.

Homemade Tater Tots

Form your ‘tots’ by pressing about 2-3 tablespoons worth of the potato mixture into your palm, then shape it into those familiar cylinders.Β Β Homemade Tater Tots

Brush them with olive oil and pop them into the oven.

Homemade Tater Tots

This is where I excelled back in the day. I liked my taters to be crispy on all sides, so I rotated them around a few times to get them perfectly browned.

Homemade Tater Tots

Typically, I’m not much of a ketchup fan but it’s pretty much mandatory to dip these babies in a little tomato ketchup.

Homeade Tater ToTs -

There’s nothing like an old favourite made new, made yourself and made with real ingredients. They are not frozen, not processed, but all delicious.

Homemade Tater Tots

Enjoy!

Yields 15

Homemade Tater Tots with Caramelized Onion – Gluten Free

• 1 large russet potato, baked and chilled overnight
  • ΒΌ cup caramelized onions
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • sea salt & pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  2. Peel and grate the cooked & cooled potato
  3. Add in the caramelized onion, sea salt and pepper and mix well
  4. Form into cylinder shapes and place on lined baking sheet
  5. Brush each side with olive oil
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating every 8-10 minutes to brown each side

Lauren April 14, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Yum yum! I bet my girls would LOVE these! I actually love potatoes and caramelized onions, so putting the two together sounds heavenly! πŸ™‚

Sharon April 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I’m sure the kiddos would love them. The big kids too! πŸ˜‰

Dearna @tohercore April 14, 2014 at 11:02 pm

What great idea! We call these “potato gems” in Australia, and they are a staple food of most school aged children. In fact I probably havent eaten them since I was a child! I used to love them though so no doubt I would love your homemade version. They look so crispy and delicious πŸ™‚

Sharon April 14, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I’m on a big nostalgia kick these days! I used to have these all.the.time. I think the caramelized onions make them so much more grown up though, right? I hope you love these ‘gems’. πŸ˜‰

Isadora April 15, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Ohh! These look so good! I have a soft spot for tater tots and I love that these are baked and not fried. I will be making these soon!

Sharon April 15, 2014 at 6:04 pm

There are good, if I do say so myself. πŸ˜‰ I actually made baked potatoes tonight for dinner mainly so I can have these taters tomorrow! Thanks for the nice comment, Isadora. I hope you love them. πŸ™‚

Bonnie April 15, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I love this idea! So clever and so much better than a store-bought bag of potato-randomness. It would be fun to get the kids in on making them as well…I think I’ll have to do that! Thanks for a great idea!

Sharon April 15, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Perfect for an activity with the kiddos! πŸ™‚ I hope the family loves them as much as we did. Thanks Bonnie!

Alexandra Aimee April 15, 2014 at 10:41 pm

These look delicious! And so much better than the frozen kind…

— Alex at Cashmere Kangaroo

Sharon April 15, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Thanks Alex! We used the word delicious, too! πŸ˜‰ Who needs frozen crap? Not us! πŸ™‚

Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods April 16, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Wow, what a great idea. I’ve never made tater tots at home before. These look so amazing! I also love how you added caramelized onions.

Sharon April 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Thanks doll! I was super impressed how these turned out. I swear, much better than the frozen. The caramelized onions were the kicker. I hope you give them a try! πŸ™‚

domain October 9, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Hi! I’ve been following your web site for some time now and finally
got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble
Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

Sharon October 10, 2014 at 10:15 am

Shouts right back from Canada, y’all! πŸ˜‰ Thanks so much. πŸ™‚ No need to be shy in the future!