I debated calling this salad “Chicken Sandwich Salad” but though it might sound confusing. Chicken salad sandwich, yes. Chicken sandwich salad, not so much.
Let me explain.
Like most kids I went to elementary school with, I use to have sandwiches packed in a brown bag, along with some fruit, a juice box and a couple of cookies or a granola bar, to tote along with me to school for lunch. My favourite combination is mustard and mayo, along with whatever type of protein. I use to have ham or bologna as a kid, now I’m more of a chicken sandwich type of gal.
Actually, I’m not really a huge sandwich maker in general anymore as meal sized salads are more the norm coming out of my kitchen. So welcome to this Creamy Honey Mustard Chopped Chicken & Veggie Salad.
Instead of bread I’m using some hard core roughage. Cauliflower and broccoli, my friends. Those cruciferous little antioxidant powerhouse veggies. 🙂 Stinky, yes. Super good for you, also yes.
I like that these veggies pack a great crunch and really add some texture to this salad. I know it’s popular to mince cauliflower and broccoli up in the food processor, and I like that method also, but sometimes you really just don’t have the energy to lug out the appliances and to be honest, I’m a fan of both of these vegetables, so a rough chop was all I needed to prep the cauliflower and broccoli for my salad.
Adding chicken to this salad was a breeze, using leftover cold rotisserie chicken from our local grocery store that sells organic roasted chickens. So easy and what I consider ‘fast food’. 😉 Relive your childhood and get some great nutrients while your at it! Enjoy. 🙂
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 cup sour cream ( I used a skim variety)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp each garlic powder & onion powder
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- Add all of the dressing ingredients into a medium glass jar with a lid and shake it very well until it is smooth. Place the jar in the fridge while you chop the veggies
- Add the chopped veggies and chicken to a large mixing bowl and pour the dressing over top (remember to shake it again before dressing the salad)
- Serve immediately or store covered in the fridge for up to three days.