Chocolate Covered Almonds – Vegan + Gluten Free

by Sharon on July 24, 2017

Are you looking for a quick and easy treat? Try making your own Chocolate Covered Almonds! A vegan and gluten free sweet snack.

Chocolate Covered Almonds - Vegan & Gluten Free

The big news around here is that I finally bit the bullet and JOINED COSTCO! I know!! After years of tagging along with Joe’s mom, or friends, and even impersonating a co-worker (shhh), I decisively became a bonafide member of the grand daddy of all big box stores.

Now don’t get me wrong, I still love farmers markets and local products, it’s just that getting a big bag of avocados for a tiny price is music to the ears of the healthy home cook. I also stock up on coconut sugar,  Silver Hills sprouted grain bread, baking soda and … almonds. A huge bag of almonds.

Chocolate Covered Almonds - Vegan & Gluten Free

Before leaving on my last excursion to my new hangout, I asked Joe if he wanted anything. He answered “Chocolate Covered Almonds”. I made a mental note of it but between considering a fleece blanket from Kate Spade and a new showerhead, I never found chocolate covered almonds. However, there was that massive kilogram bag of almonds in my cupboard.

I put my food blogger apron on and got to work. 🙂 Using almonds that I had already roasted the night before made these babies even faster and easier to whip up. I do recommend using roasted almonds for that authentic taste. And by authentic I mean like the ones you buy from some kid outside the grocery store. 😉

Chocolate Covered Almonds - Vegan & Gluten Free

Using this recipe as a guide, these Chocolate Covered Almonds took form. I placed half of the almonds on the tray in single file then got impatient and just dumped the rest out and spread it around into a bark-like chocolate bar. So freaking good. Happy Joe, happy me, and soon, happy you.

Enjoy!

Yields 1 1/2 cups

Chocolate Covered Almonds – Vegan + Gluten Free
Save RecipeSave Recipe

• 1 1/2 cups dry roasted almonds
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp. coconut oil
  • sea salt & coconut sugar for sprinkling on top

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside
  2. In a small sauce pan over medium low heat, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring until smooth and all of the chips have melted. Remove from heat and stir in the almonds, coating them well
  3. Use a fork an one by one transfer the chocolate covered almond to the lined baking sheet ( alternately dump the whole thing on the sheet, spread it out evenly and make a bark ). Sprinkle with a little sea salt & coconut sugar to jazz them up a bit
  4. Pop into the freezer for 30 minutes to set. Store in a sealed container in the freezer or fridge
7.6.4
513

Colleen Milne July 24, 2017 at 10:09 am
I love chocolate covered almonds (does anyone not?) These wouldn't last long in my house. They sound easy to make, too. Thanks for sharing!
Sharon July 24, 2017 at 10:39 am
They lasted less than 24 hours at our house. ;) But we like to treat ourselves. Thanks Colleen!
Ayngelina Brogan July 24, 2017 at 1:43 pm
I've never thought to make my own chocolate covered nuts but these look fantastic.
Sharon July 24, 2017 at 2:25 pm
I think I've chocolate covered most things. ;) Thanks Ayngelina! :)
Michelle July 25, 2017 at 1:14 pm
I love Costco! I buy my brussels sprouts there, so much cheaper than the grocery store. Also the big bag of organic broccoli, which is great for making broccoli salad. I accidentally bought a big bag of plain almonds 🙄 so I will definitely be trying this out on them. Great pic!
Sharon July 25, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Thanks Michelle! I welcome any and all Costco tips. ;) I just picked up a colossal bag of pecans today, so I'm anticipating a number of nut posts in my future. :)
H.K July 26, 2017 at 3:46 am
Dairy animal cruelty is one of the best examples of how practices can be both horrible and socially acceptable. To stop animal cruelty go vegan. http://stop-animal-cruelty.org/milk-alternatives/
Lizzie July 28, 2017 at 8:54 am
Goodness I hadn't even thought to make my own, but they definitely would not last in our house! Thanks for the recipe!
Sharon July 28, 2017 at 8:59 am
Thanks Lizzie! These are definitely a keeper. Have a great weekend! :)
Vicky Chin July 28, 2017 at 2:42 pm
What a great idea ! So easy and simple ! My daughter and I love to snack on roasted almonds, with the chocolate coating, I think we will eat even more ! Thanks for sharing !
Sharon July 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm
I'm still a little shocked it's taken so long to try it! Thanks Vicky. Hope you enjoy. :)
Dana August 1, 2017 at 9:50 am
Omg. Okay. These were a childhood faaaavorite of mine. I used to get so stoked when kids would come to the door selling them, and of course my Dad would get a couple of boxes — one for me, and one for him. They've become such a nostalgic treat, and I have no idea why I never thought to just make some myself! Brilliant.
Sharon August 1, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Right? There was the door to door back in the day. Those tasted so much better than the store bought ones on the shelves now. Making my own was a total trip down memory lane! Very reminiscent of the old flavour. Get to doing! They are easy peasy. :) Thanks Dana!
Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 1, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Chocolate covered almonds are my favourite!!! I rarely think to make them though. You've just sparked a craving!
Sharon August 1, 2017 at 7:36 pm
They were so good. Prepare to eat the whole batch! ;)