Blueberry Chia Jam – Gluten Free

by Sharon on August 21, 2017

This Blueberry Chia Jam is too easy not to try. Use your bounty of summer berries and simply add chia seeds! Blend in some natural sweetener and you have the makings for a delicious, easy breezy jam.

Blueberry Chia Jam

One of my favourite seeds is the tiny powerhouse, chia. It’s even fun to say! Cha-cha-cha CHIA! 🙂 Other than this silky Blueberry Chia Jam, you can use chia seeds in so many ways that are super useful. I love it on top of my oatmeal in the morning to give it both texture and a big dose of fiber-y goodness.

Blueberry Chia Jam

I also wanted to make a little something for Joe. He’s a big blueberry fan and he also devoured my past batches of raspberry and strawberry chia seed jam so I was pretty confident this would be a hit with my picky fella.

We marked our 18th anniversary last week. I say marked because we didn’t really celebrate, per se. I actually spent the day with my bff, Julie who was visiting from Victoria! Haha! We had a lovely stroll through the Monet exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery:

A long lunch at Homer Street Café:

And a super cool float plane tour where I scored a seat in the cockpit riding shot gun with the pilot:

It was an epic anniversary day. Without Joe. Haha again. 🙂

I shouldn’t laugh, but I do. And that is the glue that secures our relationship. Humour, laughter, and amusing each other. This world can be a heavy place and there is nothing like a good guffaw to lighten it up. Our favourite thing to do for amusement is to make the other one laugh, usually by making fun of each other. 😉

Blueberry Chia Jam

I also LOVE when Joe likes my kitchen creations. He is a heartless critic although he would say he’s just being honest. It can sting when he isn’t a fan of something I’ve made,  but when he enjoys it? When he LOVES it? I feel like a Michelin starred chef.

So did he like the Blueberry Chia Jam? Let’s just say, I think we’ll make it to another anniversary. <3

Blueberry Chia Jam

Blueberry Chia Jam – Gluten Free

• 1 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp. water
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 tbsp. honey

1. In a small dish, stir the chia seeds and water together. Set aside and let soak for 10 minutes
  2. Place the blueberries in a blender along with the honey and add in the soaked chia seeds which will now be a gel
  3. Pulse in the blender until its a 'jammy' consistency. I find it only needs a few pulses with ripe-ish blueberries
  4. Pour into a small glass jar and store for up to a week covered in the fridge

Suganya hariharan August 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Lovely recipe and it looks colorful! I have never tried making a jam 🙂 should try once.

Sharon August 24, 2017 at 9:13 am

If you’ve never made jam, this is the place to start! Super easy and delicious. Thanks Suganya! 🙂

Terri@foodmeanderings August 23, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I love the idea of chia in jam! I put it in so many things but have never thought of putting it in jam. Way to make jam healthier!

Sharon August 24, 2017 at 9:14 am

Thanks Terri! Chia is the secret ingredient to making jam in no time. 🙂 You should totally give it a whirl!

Markus Mueller | Earth, Food, and Fire August 24, 2017 at 5:16 am

What a good idea adding the chia to jam! Does it help thicken it at all, or do you need to compensate for the gel-ing action of the seeds?

Ill let you know how mine turns out!

Sharon August 24, 2017 at 9:15 am

Hey Markus! The chia gel is the key to the jam. The gel make jelly. 😉 I hope you love it!!

Justine | JustineCelina.com August 24, 2017 at 8:23 am

I had absolutely NO idea that chia jam was so easy and I’ve always wanted to try it! Pinning this recipe for future reference. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sharon August 24, 2017 at 9:16 am

You must try it!! So unbelievably easy. 🙂 Thanks Justine!

Nicoletta @sugarlovespices August 25, 2017 at 8:59 am

I love all kinds of jam, homemade better, but I hardly make my own, relying on my father who is the jam maker 😉 . This looks and sounds good and simple to make. I like the addition of the chia seeds. I am trying to incorporate them more in our diet, they are truly a super food!

Sharon August 25, 2017 at 9:38 am

I would watch my mom make our jams as a kid and it was much more complicated than this, that’s for sure. Basically this is smoothie making easy. Toss it all in a blender and presto! You just made jam. 🙂 Thanks Nicoletta. 🙂

Nicole August 25, 2017 at 10:04 am

Ahhh the magical chia seed, what can’t it do?!! The jam looks terrific, and I love how quickly and easily it comes together!

Sharon August 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Right? Chia = magic! Thanks Nicole. 🙂

Gabrielle @ eyecandypopper August 25, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I LOVE using chia and I’ve been using it in all my jams for a few years now, it’s so incredibly easy. I can taste it already! Good job! and happy anniversary 🙂

Sharon August 26, 2017 at 8:42 am

Chia = the bomb. I’m going to make some chia pudding this weekend! 🙂 And thanks for the anniversary wishes. XOXO.

Kristen August 25, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Your jam looks amazing and I’m jealous of those gold spoons. It’s so hard to find gold cutlery!

Sharon August 26, 2017 at 8:41 am

Thanks Kristen! I found them at YokoYaya in Vancouver which is a Japanese chain. Similar to a dollar store, but things are a little more than a dollar. Better than paying $$$ for the ones I saw on West Elm. 🙂 Enjoy your weekend!