This creamy Vegan Cauliflower Potato Soup will become a favourite this soup season. Nutritious vegetables are transformed into a luxurious, velvety gluten free soup that you won’t believe is vegan!
Mmmmmm … Warm, comforting soup. Creamy and velvety. Like a little blanket for your insides.
Feel like soup yet? 😉
VEGAN CAULIFLOWER POTATO SOUP
After my mini meltdown over website issues ( Don’t update all of things at the same time. Trust. ) I was feeling a little exhausted and gloomy. What better way to pull me out of this funk than to make soup.
My inspiration came from my friend, Richel. Twice a week, we meet up and have our butts kicked by Kathy, our trainer. In between plié squats and side bends, the three of us chat about anything and everything. Well, last week the topic was a soup that Richel threw together using cauliflower, broccoli and a cornucopia of veggies.
This sounded good to me, so I picked up a head of cauliflower on my next grocery run. I couldn’t see any broccoli but I did see potatoes.
I was so glad I went with the spuds because nothing says yummy, wintery soup like potato soup does.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CAULIFLOWER POTATO SOUP – Step by Step Images
First, sweat down some onions and celery with some olive oil and garlic.
Recently, I made some of this rosemary infused olive oil, so I used that and the garlic paste for this recipe, but you can totally used regular olive oil and garlic too.
Rough chop for the cauliflower and potatoes.
Nothin’ fancy because everything’s getting the immersion blender treatment anyway. And leave the skins on those potatoes! The extra fiber is awesome.
Just make sure you give ’em a good scrub and buy organic. Potatoes are on the dirty dozen. Not negotiable.
Let those veggies simmer down until they are soft.
After simmering away, it is time for the immersion blender. Blend until silky smooth.
Lastly, pour in just the slightest amount of full fat coconut milk. You don’t need much. It is so crrrreamy!
You can add a little non dairy grated cheese to really make a statement. 😉 I also add fresh chives which go so well with the potato flavor.
My mood was instantly lifted.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES:
*Originally posted November 266, 2014. Updated December 8, 2019*
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This creamy Vegan Cauliflower Potato Soup will become a favourite this soup season. Nutritious vegetables are transformed into a luxurious, velvety gluten free soup that you won't believe is vegan!
- 1 tbsp rosemary infused olive oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 tsp garlic puree or 1 clove, minced
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed and roughly cut into small chunks
- 1 head of cauliflower washed and cut into florets
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- sea salt & fresh pepper to taste (I used copious amounts of both)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and a sprinkling of salt and pepper, stir and let sauté over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic puree or garlic and let cook for another minute
- Add potatoes, cauliflower and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a bubbling simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes and cauliflower are soft
- Remove pot from the heat and, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Stir in coconut milk and add more salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with cheese (choose a vegan variety if necessary) and chives (optional, but pretty good!)