I mentioned on Wednesday that I am doing the Whole 30 for the month of April. One of the challenges for me is the no grains part. I seem to be coping fine with the no sugar thing. I mean, between the dates, the macadamias and the cashews I’ve got snacking down pat. But grains, not to mention legumes and beans are big staples in a mostly vegetarian diet like mine. I’ll eat chicken maybe twice a week and then it’s a variety of meatless dishes gracing our table.
A brilliant strategy I saw on the Whole 30 website was using vegetables, like the lovely sweet potato, slicing them length-wise and crisping them up in the oven to mimic toast. So smart.
What’s better on “toast” than avocado and a perfectly fried egg? In this case, on this day, nothing. I scraped up every last bit off my plate. Simple deliciousness. Between this and the macadamias, the Whole 30 is kind of a breeze. 😉
I squeezed just a bit of lemon into the mashed avocado then sprinkled with some chili flakes. Then I tried not to just eat the bowlful with my mashing fork. I am loving this avocado.
The key ingredient is the most subtle. When the sweet potatoes come out of the oven, rub them with a crushed clove of garlic. It adds flavour without overpowering the dish. Is there anything garlic can’t do?
You can cook your eggs however you prefer, but I really recommend the fried egg with the sweet potato & avocado combo. The slightly runny yolks blend in perfectly.
Remember, just because this is an egg dish it doesn’t mean for breakfast only. This is a great option for a quick lunch or dinner also. Anytime is Eggs with Avocado & Sweet Potato “Toast” time as far as I’m concerned.
Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!
- 1 large sweet potato scrubbed clean and sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil melted
- 1 garlic clove smashed
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Line the slices of sweet potato on the lined baking sheet and brush them with the coconut oil, flip them over and brush the other side
- Pop into the oven for 30 minutes, flipping them over after 20 minutes
- When the potato 'toast' comes out of the oven rub the slices with the fresh garlic
- Mash the avocado in a bowl along with the lemon juice, sea salt, fresh pepper and chili flakes
- Spread it onto the sweet potatoes
- Cook your eggs how you like them. I fried mine, over easy with the yolk a little runny.