Homemade Cheddar & Chive Tater Tots

by Sharon on February 15, 2016

Homemade Cheddar & Chive Tater Tots

It’s Oscar time again! If you remember last year, I took part in a fun project with a bunch of talented food bloggers to create recipes centred around movies nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. We are back again this year and have some fun, delicious ideas for your celebrations.

Homemade Cheddar & Chive Tater Tots

I love watching the awards and this year will be even better thanks to the help of my PVR! There are always so many darned commercials and I truly can’t stand it. I won’t be home the night of the show, so it will be PVR city and I plan to use the fast forward button with reckless abandon. I mostly just watch for the main awards … and the fashion, of course.

Last year, I made these super delicious Alabama Fire Crackers for my assigned movie, which was Selma. The film was great and totally recommend it. Snack on the crackers while you watch! 😉

This year, my movie is The Martian. I saw it a few weeks before and knew I had a winner with some kind of potato recipe. In the movie, Matt Damon’s character is stranded by his team on the moon * (edited – thank you to my friend Andrea for pointing out me that this movie is called the Martian. He’s stranded on Mars, not the moon. Silly rabbit. 😉 I did watch the movie, I swear! ) and he is left to fend for himself and try to survive. He devised a plan to grow potatoes and that is just what he did. Then it was potatoes, potatoes, potatoes.

Homemade Cheddar & Chive Tater Tots

Considering a planet ( Mars, not the moon. 😉 ) was a big co-star in this flick, I thought adding cheese to represent it would be fitting. Oh, and I like cheese. A lot. Sue me. :)

Combining my potato and cheese ideas led me to these Homemade Cheddar and Chive Tater Tots. They are a play off these Caramelized Onion Tater Tots I made a couple of years ago. Serve them up with some sour cream for dipping and you have some tasty bites of goodness to keep you company while you watch the big Oscar show.

Check out the  links below to see the rest of the nominated movies and the yummy themed recipes that have been created by my fellow bloggers.

Enjoy!

Homemade Cheddar & Chive Tater Tots

The Big Short: Jenga Veggie Towers with Creamy Cilantro Dip from Flour Arrangements

Bridge of Spies: Bitesize “TV Dinner” Meatloaf Appetizers from Pickles Travel

Brooklyn: Chocolate Stout Cannoli from Femme Fraiche

Mad Max: Fury Road: Ruby Red Grapefruitcello from Making It With Stephany

The Revenant: Crock Pot Ribs from Dining With Alice

Room: Victoria Sandwich Cake from Savoury Table

Spotlight: Cheesy Boston Clam Dip from Cheap Recipe Blog

Yields 15

Homemade Cheddar & Chive Tater Tots

• 1 large or 2 medium russet potatoes, baked and cooled (or 2 cups of cooked potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • sea salt & pepper, to taste
  • sour cream for dipping (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  2. Peel and grate the cooked & cooled potato
  3. Sprinkle in a good pinch of sea salt and pepper and mix well. Add in the cheese and chives stir well again
  4. Form into cylinder shapes, about 1 tablespoon each, and place on lined baking sheet
  5. Brush each side with olive oil
  6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, rotating every 8-10 minutes to brown each side
  7. Serve warm with sour cream and extra chives for dipping

Karen Harris February 15, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Loved your recipe last year, love your recipe this year! I could eat a thousand of these. They will be a must on my Oscar night table this year.

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Thanks so much Karen! It was fun to do again this year. :) A new tradition.

Lauren February 15, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Yuuum, I love me some potatoes, and it’s been years since I’ve had a tater tot! I have literally seen zero Oscar movies. We don’t get out much over here, so I have to wait for the video version. I’m dying to see The Revenant, I love a good revenge movie. These look delicious, by the way. A perfect savory snack! Hope all is well with you girl!

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Thanks Lauren! We don’t venture out to the movies much either although we do watch them at home on demand from time to time. I have seen the Revenant though! I have a feeling you’ll enjoy it. His revenge knows no boundaries. Hope you’re doing well also! :)

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog February 15, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Beautiful, Sharon! I was hoping you would do something with potatoes – and you did, in such a clever, delicious way. These look absolutely delicious. I’ve never made homemade tots before, but this recipe looks easy and delicious. Way to go!!
Thanks again for participating!

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Thanks Haley! Both for the super nice comment and for putting this all together again. So much fun. Looking forward to 2017. :)

Greta February 15, 2016 at 5:13 pm

The fact that you made tator tots from scratch makes you an automatic hero and rockstar in my book! (and cheese is always a given when there’s anything good being made!!) Gorgeous photos too!

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 5:32 pm

That’s the best comment ever! Thank you Greta. Now I know my hubby isn’t the only one who thinks so. 😉

Alice Seuffert February 15, 2016 at 6:09 pm

I love homemade tater tots! These sound delicious! Perfect for an Oscars celebration and a great appetizer to bring to a party. Also love that they are baked!

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Thanks Alice! The baking really allowed the cheese to shine through. Nice crispy bits formed around the edges. Yum!

AndreaClaire February 15, 2016 at 6:12 pm

*psst* He’s stranded on Mars, not the moon. (Hence, the Martian… because he’s living on Mars.) But all planets are made of cheese in my opinion so…

AndreaClaire February 15, 2016 at 6:13 pm

P.S. Did you see the GoT trailer?

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm

No! I avoid trailers. I usually like to be surprised. Although … GoT can be very hard to keep up with at times, maybe the sneak peek would help…

Sharon February 15, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Andrea! I know I can count on you. I will quickly edit that. Sorry Matt D. 😉

Femme Fraîche February 15, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I’ve always wanted to try to make homemade tots and you’ve totally inspired me to try it! These are the perfect movie snack and a fun way to upgrade an otherwise ordinary (albeit tasty!) side. Love it!

Suzanne February 16, 2016 at 12:42 am

I can’t wait to make these. I’ve never tried making tater tots before, but you make it sound so easy. Perfect!

Sharon February 16, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Super easy and just as good as the frozen ones from a bag. :) Thanks Suzanne!

Stephany February 16, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Now I want to see this movie AND Napoleon Dynamite. (you know, cuz of the tots.)

Sharon February 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Perfect pairing! 😉 Thank Stephany.

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen February 17, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I have never thought to make homemade tater tots before! I love the flavours in these – they look delicious!

Sharon February 18, 2016 at 11:10 am

Thanks Chelsea! We devoured these. :)