Welcome to family, Smokey Black Bean Burgers!
This was my very first attempt at burger making, of any kind. I’ve never even made traditional beef burgers! It’s not that I don’t love a good burger, I totally do, it’s just that it seems to be reserved for a kind of treat meal at restaurant. You know, grilled properly with some fries and mayo or dipping. I love that sort of thing for an indulgence and tend to stick to the healthier meals at home.
I’ve heard a lot of people having great success using black beans as a base for a burger and since canned beans (the BPA free variety) were on sale at my local grocery, I felt it was high time I jumped in the burger pool. You should join me! The water’s warm. 😉
I was blown away at how much I enjoyed these burgers. First off, they were very easy to throw together, especially if you cheat like I do and use canned beans.
Secondly, I think that what you surround your burger with is going to add generously to your experience. I used a fresh ciabbatta loaf from our neighbourhood bakery as the ‘buns’ which was so fresh with a crusty top and soft centre. Mustard, ketchup, cheese, onion, and lettuce were the perfect co-stars. You could slice up some tomatoes too. I did for the photos to get a nice pop of red colour, but I would be a fraud if I said I ate them.
Have I confessed my total aversion to raw tomatoes here on The Honour System yet? Well, its’ true. I absolutely detest raw tomatoes. Gag. But you guys, do you. 😉 If you like ’em, throw ’em on your burger.
And the third delicious component was using liquid smoke to mimic that BBQ flavour. We live in a building where BBQ’s are prohibited, so this liquid smoke is the next best thing. Only use a bit though! It’s very potent. I’ve used it things like Smokey Roasted Almonds and Coconut Bacon <– which would taste great on these Smokey Black Bean Burgers now that I think of it! If you don’t have any liquid smoke, no worries. Hot sauce would work too to give it some kick.
If you haven’t yet, give this meatless alternative a try.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smokey Black Bean Burgers
- Add the drained but not rinsed black beans to a large mixing bowl an d using a potato masher, mash up the beans well, but still leave a few full pieces visible
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix until fully combined. Set the mixture aside to rest for five minutes
- Form patties that are a little smaller than your bun size. They will not shrink when you cook them. I made 8 medium sized patties
- Heat a tbsp. of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Once the skillet is hot place your patties in the oil. I fit four at a time in my skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side
- Serve immediately on buns with toppings of choice