No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies – Vegan & Gluten Free

by Sharon on August 8, 2014

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies Gluten Free

I love simple. Truth be told, I also love complicated but these cookies are not complicated. One pot and that’s it. Easy breezy.

Another great thing about these cookies, besides the fact that they are super easy, is that instead of butter these babies feature coconut oil. The more I educate myself on the benefits of coconut oil the happier I get. When something this delicious and versatile is so healthy for you I do little dances of joy. You know those non-believers, like those skeptics who ‘don’t like healthy food’? Hand them one of these cookies and dare them not to like it. Go on! Dare them! I dare you! Double dare, even. ๐Ÿ˜‰ They will be convinced and swaying them to the healthy side will have been so easy. Because, I did mention these were easy, yes?

Here we go!

I rolled with coconut sugar for these cookies. I prefer it for my sweet treats for a few reasons. It’s not highly processed, it’s a safe option for diabetics and it also has a high mineral content. Oh, and it’s so caramel-y and yummy. Can’t forget that.

Combine the coconut sugar, coconut oil, cocoa powderย and some almond milk and bring them to a quick boil.

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies Gluten Free

Stir in some peanut butter (I’m partial to the chunky, all natural kind), and a few chocolate chips. I tossed in a little vanilla also. You can’t say they’re cookies without vanilla, am I right?

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies Gluten Free

Add in the oats (choose certified gluten free if you avoid gluten) and stir really well.

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies Gluten Free

Drop heaping tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets and pop them into the fridge to set.

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies Gluten Free

That’s it, folks! You’re done. If you want to win friends and influence people at work you can bring a batch of these cookies to them like I did. My stock rose a little because of them. Yet, another plus.

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies Gluten Free

Have a great weekend, everyone! Happy Friday! :)

Serves 24 cookies

No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oil Cookies โ€“ Vegan & Gluten Free

• โ€ข 2 cups coconut sugar
  • โ€ข ยฝ cup coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • ยฝ cup almond milk
  • ยฝ cup peanut butter
  • ยฝ cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups quick or rolled oats (certified gluten free)

1. Mix the coconut sugar, coconut oil, cocoa, and almond milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil for one minute and remove from heat
  2. Add the peanut butter, vanilla and chocolate chips and mix well. Stir in the oats, one cup at a time, stirring well after each cup
  3. Spoon heaping tablespoon sized mounds onto parchment paper and let cool completely
  4. Transfer to the fridge to set

Dearna @tohercore August 9, 2014 at 3:32 am

I was just thinking that I needed a quick (healthy) chocolate fix and these look perfect! Off to make some now :)

Dearna @tohercore August 9, 2014 at 4:07 am

And I’m done! :) These are so quick and tasty, I’ll definitely be keeping these for future quick chocolate fixes :)

Sharon August 9, 2014 at 8:40 am

Ha! It’s funny to think while I was sleeping you were on the other side of the world happily munching away. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m so glad you liked them.

Olivia - Primavera Kitchen August 10, 2014 at 9:14 am

Sharon, I LOVE this recipe, cause I also love simple. Like you said it is so easy to make and looks so tasty! I have all the ingredients on this recipe, so I’ve gotta make this cookies!
Have a wonderful day ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sharon August 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

You’re such a doll, Olivia! Thanks so much. :) You’ll love them.

Courtney October 18, 2014 at 9:29 pm

These were so delicious! I loved no bake cookies when I was able to eat gluten and dairy and these are absolutely a perfect substitute. I almost like these better because of the coconut!

Sharon October 19, 2014 at 1:30 am

Thanks Court! No bake = super easy deliciousness, am I right? ๐Ÿ˜‰ So glad you liked them.

Carie January 31, 2015 at 8:10 am

These look wonderful, but do I have to use the peanut butter? I’m gluten free, but my daughter is allergic to peanuts. I’m always on the lookout for recipes that fit both our needs.

Sharon January 31, 2015 at 8:27 am

Hi Carie! The taste would change a bit but you could definitely use a different kind of nut or seed butter like almond or sunflower. I’m certain they would both taste wonderful in these cookies.

Julianne February 18, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Do you measure the coconut oil melted? Mine is solidified at room temp. Thank you!

Sharon February 18, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Hi Julianne. Love your name. :) I measure from solid. You will love these!

Sue February 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Do these have to be refrigerated so they harden? And if left at room temperature will they keep their shape? I usually make these with butter but I like the idea of using coconut oil instead. Thanks. Sue

Sharon February 19, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Hi Sue! I keep mine in the fridge. They could be OK at room temp, but like butter would really soften if your room is warmer. You will love these with the coconut oil. :)

Rebecca November 24, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Could you use milk chocolate chips? I know they don’t melt the same as dark and wondered if it would change the consistency of the cookie- not allow them to set as solid as they typically would. Thank you!

Sharon November 26, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Hey Rebecca! I’m sure the milk chocolate chips would work. I prefer using the dark chocolate for the health benefits. :)