How To: Cook Brown Rice – The Easiest Method Ever!

by Sharon on November 17, 2014

How To- Cook Brown Rice-

Is that a bold statement? The easiest method ever? Read on and you can tell me.

As someone who has cooked the equivalent of a mountain of brown rice, I feel as though I am qualified to assess how easy it is or isn’t. I’ve tried the ‘instructions on the package’ method, the Alton Brown method, I’ve even mastered the ‘forgot about the rice on the stove’ method (not recommended).

I’ve tried it all and have found the answer!

How To- Cook Brown Rice-

The two very important factors are taste and texture. You don’t want gummy, you don’t want burnt and you definitely don’t want crunchy. Brown rice has a tendency to clump together and can be starchy.

So here we go.

You will . not . believe . how easy this is going to be.

I was reading through the comments of another blog on a post about how food guru Alton Brown makes his version of foolproof rice and stumbled across this amazing gem of advice.

Basically, cook the brown rice like you would make pasta.

Boom.

Boil up a saucepan full of salted water. Pour in the rice, stir, cook, drain, rinse. Repeat every week! 😉

How To- Cook Brown Rice-

No starchiness, no clumps of gluey yuck. You can even taste test it to your liking like you would test to see if your pasta was done to a perfect ‘al dente’.

How To- Cook Brown Rice-

I know it’s probably weird (if it’s not weird to you we could for sure be best friends) but it makes me so giddy every time I think about how simple cookin’ up a batch of brown rice is going to be from this day forward.

The recipe below is two cups of dry brown rice which yields four servings. However, doubling up is a good idea. It’s always smart to have cooked grains on hand for the week to toss into a dinner salad or veggie enchiladas. It’s  great way to add fibre and staying power to your meals.

How do you cook your brown rice?

How To- Cook Brown Rice-

How To: Cook Brown Rice – The Easiest Method Ever!

• 2 cups brown rice

1. Bring a large sauce pan of salted water to boil
  2. Meanwhile, rinse your brown rice well
  3. Add the rinsed brown rice to the boiling water and set your timer for fifteen minutes. Stir periodically to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom
  4. Test the texture of the rice after ten minutes and every minute after until it's cooked how you like it. I find fifteen minutes is perfect
  5. Drain the rice and rinse

Eyecandypopper November 17, 2014 at 2:27 pm

This is how we’ve always cooked rice at our house. I wasn’t even aware of any other ways of cooking it! (probably because I never read instructions. lol)

Sharon November 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm

No way! I’m such a rule follower. 😉 I’ve been doing it so differently. I absolutely LOVE this method.

Karen November 18, 2014 at 8:56 am

Oohh I love this! It is so much easier! I normally just boil and stir….30 minutes later voila! lmao!

Sharon November 18, 2014 at 9:57 am

Right?! I’ve been doing the boil, and let simmer method. What a time waster! I loooove this idea.

Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods November 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Okay, I need to try this method. I have the hardest time making rice on the stovetop. It seriously drives me insane that I can’s seem to make it work. I’ve always been able to make really good rice, that is up until we moved to Colorado. The elevation makes cooking some foods so difficult. I’ll let you know how it goes 😀

Sharon November 18, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Good luck Cindy! I don’t know about the elevation dilemma. Let me know!!

Hickster February 22, 2017 at 7:17 pm

25 minutes works in Denver – we moved off the mountains a few years ago, so I don’t know how long at 9000 ft., anymore, but I would add another 10 minutes.

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen November 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

I’ve never even thought of cooking brown rice this way. But it’s so much faster – my way takes 40+ minutes!

Sharon November 19, 2014 at 9:37 am

So much faster! My rice eating life has changed forever. 🙂

JANET WILES January 26, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I don’t get it. How can cooking brown rice take only 15 minutes? It usually takes about 40 minutes. Once the water is boiling, you add the rice and continue to simmer for 15 minutes then turn the heat off and it’s done? What do you mean by rinsing it?—-after it’s cooked. I think I’m confused. 🙁

Sharon January 26, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Treat the rice like you would cooking pasta. Keep the water boiling and test the grain for doneness. Rinse your rice before and after cooking it. Super easy!

Bridget Oland February 23, 2016 at 11:29 am

Okay, I’m definitely going to give this a try. We eat a ton of brown rice and just the thought if it cooking in 15 min opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Sharon February 23, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I’ve never looked back. 😉 Thanks Bridget!

Esther June 16, 2016 at 11:48 am

Will this work for wild rice?

Sharon June 17, 2016 at 11:15 am

This will work for all rice! Just keep checking for doneness.

Jay June 27, 2016 at 8:03 pm

The method my folks use is very different but tasty. In baking dish mix 1 cup brown rice and 1 1/2 to 2 cups water or chicken broth. ( check amount of water recommended on rice package ) Season to taste with salt garlic onion, thyme and a bay leaf. Add 1 tsp coconut oil and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 50-60 mins. It is worth the wait:)

Judy July 30, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Ooh, sounds yummy! Will have to give it a try. Sounds easy!!

Sharon July 31, 2016 at 1:14 pm

So easy! I was kicking myself that it took so many years before trying out this method. Thanks Judy! 🙂

S. Lancaster July 15, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I would love to try this. I am not sure I found exactly how much water. to put in the large saucepan. Thank you

Sharon July 15, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Fill it up! You are just draining it off once the rice is cooked. 🙂

FoodJunkie October 30, 2016 at 9:34 am

What a quick and easy way to do brown rice. I don’t always want the amount the rice cooker makes so this will be great. A note of caution on the leftovers, cooked rice can grow unpleasant bacteria. Get the leftovers in the fridge right away and don’t reheat multiple times – only reheat the amount you need, and you should be fine.

Sharon October 31, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Great tip! Thanks so much. 🙂

Kate December 3, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Wow, how interesting all these recipes are. I have never ever cooked rice like this before but definitely going to try it. Jay’s also in the oven…..
I love Mexican food after working in restaurants so always looking for new recipes that are easy to throw together. But I think I like the green chili sauce better with chicken. I have made my own enchilada sauce and it is amazingly good compared to the canned stuff. I highly recommend it since it is so easy to make who knew!

Sharon December 4, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Thanks so much Kate! I love this method for rice. So much easier and no guesswork. I’ve never actually tried a green chili sauce! I better get on it. 😉 Thanks again. 🙂

Heidi March 19, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Game changer! Am I covering the pot while cooking the rice like the package always advises?

Sharon March 20, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I let it bubble away uncovered. Easier to check for doneness that way!