These Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns are a brilliant way to use up your leftover cooked spaghetti squash. A super easy low carb, low calorie recipe that is both gluten free and paleo.
So excited, y’all! I love discovering new ways to use up extra cooked veggies and these Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns are just the ticket for a quick and easy side dish.
When me and my fella were first dating, one of the things he loved was my homemade breakfasts. I would do a proper English fry-up complete with bacon, over easy eggs, hot buttered toast and, my secret weapon, delicious, crispy hash browns.
He was mine from the first bite! 🙂
One thing he doesn’t love however, is spaghetti squash, dammit. It’s so good and I love everything about it that I just do not understand how he can’t.
But, I’m trying to learn tolerance. 😉
SPAGHETTI SQUASH HASH BROWNS
This is how I end up with half a cooked spaghetti squash all the time:
Say I’m making a sauce, the man will have pasta, I’ll have spaghetti squash. But, I’m human and can only consume so much squash in one sitting.
When the idea struck about the hash browns I was so excited to try them out. My potato version features grated shreds and it dawned on me how similar the shredded squash was.
I did a quick Pinterest browse and a ton of results came back.
Nothing’s original anymore, right?
HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SQUASH HASH BROWNS – Step by Step
My strategy was to wing it and see what happened if I used only the squash and oil in the pan.
I season the spaghetti squash when I cook it (tutorial–>here) so I didn’t bother adding anything else. (And yes, my skillet is white. It’s newish and I think I hate it? )
I am super thrilled to report they worked. A tad fragile, but super delicious and a dream with eggs.
I had two over easy and a generous side of these Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns as a quick lunch and was happy and satisfied.
Try these for sure the next time you find yourself with an abundance of cooked spaghetti squash. So easy and super tasty.
- 2 cups cooked & shredded spaghetti squash about 1/2 small cooked squash
- 1 tbsp. oil I used coconut oil
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat
- Press the water out of the squash with paper towels
- Form little patties (2 tablespoons or so) by pressing the squash firmly between your palms
- Place the patties gently on the warmed skillet and let cook for 5-7 minutes per side. Only flip these once if possible to get the nice browned effect
- Transfer to paper towels to drain, then serve warm