Oven Baked Potato Wedges
This recipe for super crispy Oven Baked Potato Wedges does double duty as a side dish for dinner or as an appetizer for game day. These healthy baked potato wedges also feature a homemade and gluten free seasoning mix.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These crispy baked potato wedges are high in the rotation lately – especially with me doing the whole30 right now. I’m so thankful potatoes are welcome on this plan!
The potato wedges seasoning is totally gluten free using regular spices in your cupboard.
Enough talk! Let’s make this crispy potato wedges recipe.
OVEN BAKED POTATO WEDGES – INGREDIENTS
- russet potatoes
- brown rice flour
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- sea salt
- olive oil
Because we are going to eat the skins, I recommend organic russet potatoes to avoid pesticides.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY BAKED POTATO WEDGES
Scrub the potatoes clean under the tap using a potato brush. Then slice them in half lengthwise. Slice those halves in half to make four wedges, then slice all four into eight, then slice those giving you 16 wedges per potato.
Pop the wedges into a Ziploc bag.
Next, add the seasonings. Once they are sprinkled in, seal the bag and shake the sh!t out of it. 😉
I apologize for the language but that is literally what you need to do to get the seasonings distributed.
Add the oil and shake it well again.
When you line the wedges up on your baking sheet, make sure to leave a bit of room between them to make sure they crisp up nicely. I use my finger to space them out.
Make sure your oven is good and hot. This will give you that nice browning you see here. 🙂
I love these larger wedges with their crisp edges and puffy skin. Perfect healthy comfort food.
Serve these as a side dish alongside something delicious like this New York Strip Steak recipe.
Add a platter to your spread of Superbowl snacks. I love ketchup and mayo for dipping. Joe is a fan of sea salt and vinegar.
FAQ’S, TIPS, + SUBSTITUTIONS
- Are oven baked potato wedges healthy? They sure are! Potatoes have gotten a bit of a bad reputation bad that really should be pinned on deep-fried items like chips, crisps, or French fries. This recipe uses heart-healthy olive oil. Potatoes are also a good source of vitamin C and also contain potassium, so if you are mindful about how you prepare them, potatoes can be a healthy choice.
- Make sure to leave enough space between your potato wedges to optimize crispness! The hot air from the oven needs to be able to flow freely around them to get that nice crunch. Use your finger for spacing!
- Choose potatoes that will fit on your baking sheet! Sometimes russet potatoes can be HUGE! Try to pick potatoes that are the same size and that will fit two across lengthwise on your baking sheet.
- You can easily swap the brown rice flour for coconut flour – both gluten free options work great!
MORE HEALTHY POTATO RECIPES
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- Instant Pot Salted Potatoes
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
- Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese and Roasted Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
- Oven Baked French Fries
Originally published February 4, 2014. Updated February 4, 2021.
Be sure to follow me on social media! I love pinning to Pinterest, sharing on Facebook, and posting pics on Instagram. See you there. 🙂
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven Baked Potato Wedges
- 4 medium russet potatoes *scrubbed clean
- 1 tbsp. brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Heat your oven to 425. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the scrubbed clean potatoes in half, then quarters, then eighths. Try to keep them as uniform as possible for even baking.
- Place them in a large Ziploc bag and sprinkle with the flour and seasonings. Seal the bag and shake the potatoes really well to coat. Add the oil to the bag, re-seal and shake again, really well.
- Place your wedges on the lined baking sheets, leaving the width of your fingertip between each to space them evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip them over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Enjoy right away for optimum crispness.