Creamy Cranberry Vanilla Smoothie – Banana Free

by Sharon on December 27, 2013

Alrighty people! Anyone else feeling a little sheepish after the holiday free-for-all? Perhaps looking to lighten up those meals a little? Me too. A healthy dose of some probiotics, via organic Greek yogurt, is just what the stomach ordered. Especially after my stomach ordered waaaaay too many portions of Dark Chocolate Bark  and Thumbprint Cookies this Christmas 😉

It also gives me the perfect vehicle for this super cool powder I picked up at my local health food store. Organic freeze dried cranberry powder. Being a sucker for anything pink, I had to pick it up. Surely, there are many recipes I can make pink! Right? Definitely. Besides making a pretty pink powder, cranberries also have immune boosting and anti-aging properties. Little, ruby red winners :)

I have some frozen organic berries to use up so, I tossed in a cup of them to boost the antioxidants of this nutritious smoothie. I’ve heard that there is a need for more banana-free smoothie recipes. Usually, I use frozen bananas in smoothies to add creaminess but, with the nice dollop of Greek yogurt, we have the entire smooth factor that we need. Adding in a touch of vanilla also helps with the creamy flavour. So, for the people that avoid bananas, this one’s for you!

I liked that this smoothie didn’t bloat my stomach and I felt an immediate reaction from the probiotics. If you don’t have cranberry powder, you can either: a) splurge and pick some up or b) use frozen cranberries instead of mixed berries in this recipe. I had this as breakfast and felt full enough until I had lunch about 3 hours later. If you want more staying power, try adding in a good quality protein powder.

Have a great weekend folks! I’m looking forward to one last ‘splurge-worthy’ event. As someone that rarely drinks, I do enjoy sharing a nice glass or two of wine during holiday parties with friends, family and work family. 😉 We will be ‘cheers’ing with Brunello this weekend and then it’s a straight lemon water regime for this kid to welcome 2014.

Serves 2 servings

Cranberry Vanilla Smoothie – Banana Free

• 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup frozen berries
  • 6 ice cubes
  • 1 tbsp cranberry powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla

1. Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth

Click for Nutritional Stats

Julia December 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

This smoothie looks amazing! I definitely need to lighten things up after the holiday festivities, and a yummy smoothie like this is perfect. Love them cranberries!

Sharon December 28, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thanks Julia! I think we all feel the need to take it easy on the heavy food with the hoildays coming to a close. It will be summer and shorts before we know it 😉

Toronto Girl West December 28, 2013 at 12:06 am

Good call on the no bananas! I’m always looking for no banana smoothie recipes! 😉

Sharon December 28, 2013 at 11:22 am

I’ve heard this! Quite a few people aren’t down with bananas.

Eileen December 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I’m new here to Pinterest and I’m owondering how/where I get the actual recipes for these smoothies.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon December 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hi Eileen!

If you are on my website the recipe is right on the page. You can also click on the recipe tab at the top of the page to access all of the recipes on my site. All of the recipes are at the bottom of each post.

Through pinterest, you click on the image and it will send you to the website that it came from.

I hope this helps!

All the best for 2014 :)

Eileen December 28, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I found the recipes. However, may I ask where I would find cranberry powder?

Sharon December 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I found mine at a local health food store. If you can’t find the powder, use frozen cranberries instead. Just exchange the cranberries for the mixed berries I have in the recipe.

Maryrose December 28, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Also looking for cranberry powder?

Sharon December 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Hi Maryrose! Try your local health food store or online. If you can’t find the powder, the real thing works great, too! Try subbing in a cup of frozen cranberries for the mixed berries I have in the recipe.

Bella January 24, 2014 at 2:14 am

This sounds so yummy, BUT I live in a small town and can’t find the cranberry powder and for health issues, I can’t eat any berries because of seeds. . .and oh, how I miss eating berries! Got any ideas for smoothies w/o teeny seeds that I need to avoid? Thanks so much!

Sharon January 24, 2014 at 11:07 am

Hey Bella! Can you have blueberries? Those are good frozen for smoothies. Also, try adding in a chopped apple for sweetness. As far as the cranberry powder you can find it online here –> It’s not cheap but once you have it lasts along time. Many many smoothies can be made with a pound of cranberry powder. Good luck! :)

Tracey @ Cooking with Love November 7, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Love this recipe. Cranberries are sooo good for you. Dr. Oz just had a segment on yesterday talking about how they reduce inflammation in the body and can help strengthen your bladder. Yay for cranberries!! :)

Sharon November 8, 2014 at 8:25 am

Thanks Tracy! It’s the season to see a lot of cranberry recipes too. :) Enjoy your weekend!