Lean & Mean Green Juice

by Sharon on July 7, 2014

Green-Juice-

OK. I’m going there. I’m going to that ‘hard core’ healthy place that most of your friends and family will just not go. That much talked about place of no return.

Dun, dun, duuuuuuuun….

Green Juice!

Green-Juice-

And I love it here. :)

Drinking these juices, and this may sound corny, makes me feel immediately healthier. I’m energized and my blood pumps stronger. Who knows if it’s just a ‘placebo’ effect, but really, who cares? If it makes you happy, right?

From what I’ve read about my particular juicer, the leafy greens don’t yield a huge amount of juice so there needs to be:

a) a lot of leafy greens

and

b) a lot of other green things like cucumber, celery, etc.

Boom! Look at that pile!

Green-Juice

And don’t forget the green grapes. This sweetened up the juice, making it a little more fruity. I’m not totally crazy.

Well, not totally. 😉

Green-Juice-

My favourite part was juicing the kale. The aroma that wafted up from my juicer as it pulverized the leaves. Pure kale. I loved the earthy, green smell.  Close second? Tossing in the grapes and watching them bounce around like the ball at a bingo hall.

The nice thing about the container that holds the fresh juice is the lid that separates the foamy, weird stuff from the green gold, as I like to call it.

Green-Juice-

A drawback to juicing is the lack of fibre so, I wouldn’t let this replace a good old fashioned green smoothie completely, but it is an amazing, hydrating way to pack in a bunch of nutrients into one glass.

Juicing is  also a great way to use up the vegetables that may be about to go bad in your crisper or pantry. Toss them all in the juicer and drink ’em down.

In the meantime, cheers to your greens! Join me in that crazy, healthy place. You won’t regret it. :)

Green-Juice-

Serves 1 large, 2 small

Lean & Mean Green Juice

• 5 romaine leaves
  • 5 kale leaves
  • 1 cucumber, peeled
  • 1/2 bunch parsley
  • 3 celery stalks
  • 1 cup green grapes

1. Pass all ingredients, leafy greens first, through your juicer and serve over ice

Olivia - Primavera Kitchen July 7, 2014 at 9:26 pm

So so good. I love your version of green juice. I made green juice every single morning, but I’ve never added green grapes. I use green apples instead. I will try it with grapes. It must taste delicious as well! Thanks for sharing 😉

Sharon July 8, 2014 at 10:30 am

Thanks Olivia! I loved the grapes, but apples are great too. As long as the greens are there. :)

Melissa July 8, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Your pictures are beautiful! Looks so refreshing.

Sharon July 8, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Thanks Melissa! Photography is the fun part. Dishes = the worst. 😉

Toronto Girl West July 9, 2014 at 3:14 am

It’s midnight and I’m not going to lie – this post is making me want to head into the kitchen to make a juice!!! LOL

Sharon July 9, 2014 at 8:24 am

Do it!! :)

Karen @ Lushious Eats July 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Wow, that really is quite the pile of veggies!! I would really love to own a juicer but I find them pretty pricy for someone like myself who wouldn’t really use it often enough. I barely get enough use out of my blender for smoothies. So, until I become a juicer owner, I will just adore your amazing photos and dream of drinking green juices. :)

Sharon July 9, 2014 at 12:17 pm

You’re so cute. :) The juicer was an investment. I have been using it daily for carrot & orange juice in the AM and I use it when unused veggies are on their last legs, so I feel justified in the cost. Now, if I could only rustle up some more counter space for it …

Dearna @tohercore July 10, 2014 at 1:09 am

I so wish I had a juicer. I LOVE the look of green juice, and your comment about how healthy it makes you feel is spot on – every time I buy one and have it I feel great! Such a great colour. Bookmarking this one for the day I buy a juicer 😉

Sharon July 10, 2014 at 10:23 am

I debated for about a year. They went on sale at my department store and I couldn’t resist. I’m so glad I went for it as I use it almost daily. Thanks Dearna! :)

Lisa September 20, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thank you for the juicing ideas. Which juicer do you recommend? I have a magic bullet but have some pulp when I use it. Definitely want to maximize the nutritional value of my veggies and fruit. Thanks.

Sharon September 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Hey Lisa! I use a Breville Juice Fountain and I do recommend it. It’s not too cumbersome to clean and does a nice job juicing. I would use your Magic Bullet for smoothies and use a juicer for juice. 😉 I like to switch it up between both to get a good balance and variety.

Lisa September 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Thank you. The ‘clean up’ is what has kept me from purchasing one, in addition to their size.

Sharon September 20, 2014 at 11:55 pm

They do take up some real estate on the counter. 😉

Dorrie November 15, 2014 at 11:58 am

I have a juicer but found it such a pain to clean lol I have invested in the vitamix. It was pricey but does SO much I was able to justify the expense and love it!

Sean Carey February 8, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hello Sharon!

What a creative and tasty looking green juice recipe! I have really grown to love using grapes in some of my green juices, because a little bit really goes a long way! The energy you’re feeling after drinking your green juice is definitely not a placebo effect. That’s from all of those amazing nutrients going straight to use, because your body is not having break down any fiber to get to them. On top of that there are just so many nutrients inside of a green juice that your body is saying thank you!

I’m with you in that crazy healthy place and I never regret it! I’ll be sharing this great article and recipe with all of my peeps on social media! :)

Sharon February 9, 2015 at 8:56 am

Yay Sean! Thanks for the great comment and for sharing. :) I’m looking forward to trying some of your green concoctions. Have a fabulous week!

Larrissa April 30, 2015 at 7:56 pm

can I use my fruit ninja and still get the same result

Sharon April 30, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Hey Larissa! Is a fruit ninja a juicer or a blender? If it’s a juicer, yes. If it’s a blender you will have a smoothie. Still good, but different and you will probably need to add some liquid.

mary August 16, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Hey! Can you pre make these the night before and refrigerate them for the next day?? Or should you drink it right away?

Sharon August 16, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Hey Mary! Juices are always best fresh but if it means not having it at all then by all means make it the night before. :)

Sharon November 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm