How to: Make Chai Spiced Coffee

by Sharon on April 23, 2014

Chai Spiced Coffee-4

So. Coffee.

I know that awhile back I proclaimed, ever so confidently, thatย I had quit drinking coffee. Obviously, that proclamation did not last. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I feel no shame. I did quit for a few weeks and I really feel that I’ve got a handle on my intake of coffee. My strategy, that has held strong for a few months now, is to have two cups in the morning. It is not a breakfast replacement anymore. I start the day with some fresh squeezed lemon and water, then I get to grinding my beans.

Chai Spiced Coffee-7

Instead of skipping coffee altogether, now I take more care in choosing what kind of I drink. I take the mentality of quality over quantity. Coffee is one of those items that is highly sprayed with pesticides and also has a terrible reputation for not being ethically produced. I don’t want to get all preachy but please investigate where your coffee comes from. I love the beans I buy from Chocosol Traders.

Now, to switch things up a bit I thought I’d do a little DIY Chai spice blend with my morning cuppa joe. It’s super easy and done with spices you probably already have in your cupboard.

Chai Spiced Coffee

Simply grind your beans and add in the spices. I used cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.

Chai Spiced Coffee-2

Stir everything well and get percolating!

It smelled amazing as it brewed away on the counter. I was so pumped to try it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

The result turned out exactly how I had hoped. It got my mind spinning of how I could make other flavoured coffees. Maybe some vanilla bean with the ground coffee or even grind up some hazelnuts and toss those in. The combinations are limitless!

I slurped back my two cups, popped a couple of Chocolate Chiaย Power Balls in mouth and jetted off to the gym. I gave my morning a two thumbs up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Chai Spiced Coffee-6

Chai Spiced Coffee

• 1 cup ground coffee
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg

1. Mix all ingredients together well and brew

Stephanie-Oh April 23, 2014 at 6:06 pm

My husband and I have been grinding our own coffee for years. A couple years ago I started sprinkling cinnamon prior to brewing. I esp. love Penzeys or The Spice House Vietnamese cinnamon. I love that first cup of coffee in the morning. We limit ourselves to 1 gigantic cup of jo. I look forward to trying your Chai recipe. Sounds wonderful. I’m already looking forward to tomorrow morning!!!

Sharon April 23, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Thanks so much Stephanie! I must agree that life is just that much better with a cup of java. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the recommendations on cinnamon. I’ll have to check those brands out. I go through cinnamon like crazy! I hope you have a fabulous morning tomorrow with this Chai blend. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods April 24, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Oh, this coffee sounds amazing! I love the smell of fresh ground beans. I too have tried many times to stop drinking coffee and have failed. I’m totally addicted to that caffeine. I do try to only have a cup, but lately I find I’m having a second a little later in the morning. It’s such a vicious cycle.

Sharon April 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

I’m glad I’m not alone! ๐Ÿ™‚ I guess there are much worse addictions to have, right? Have a great weekend Cindy!

Noma September 21, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Tried it and yes! Really good!

Sharon September 22, 2015 at 8:55 am

Hooray! Glad you enjoyed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Amanda McCune May 29, 2016 at 10:34 pm

How much water are you adding to?

Sharon May 30, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I usually make 4-6 cups

MaryEllen Norelli August 2, 2016 at 11:19 am

I inadvertently found your site and immediately signed up. I’ve been limited to one cuppa day and the only way I’ve found success is with a Keurig coffee maker. But I so miss grinding my beans every morning.
Like another of your commenters, I used to add cinnamon on occasion to the ground coffee before brewing. I love the sound of your recipe for Chai Coffee and think when I have my family/friends visit that would be a wonderful change. However, it’s been so many years that I’ve used a coffee maker I was wondering how much water do you use for the one cup of ground coffee? Also, would you recommend any particular brand of coffee bean?

Sharon August 2, 2016 at 11:47 am

Hey Mary Ellen! I’m with you on one cup a day, however the man of the house drinks unlimited amounts. Nice for him. ๐Ÿ˜‰ We usually brew approximately 5 cups of water to about 1/4 cup of ground beans. I like to stick to the organic & fair trade coffees as the coffee bean is a heavily sprayed crop. We like Kicking Horse which is a local Canadian brand. Ethical Bean is another good brand and I know that one is available for a decent price at Costco. I hope that helps! Enjoy the rest of the week and the java. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks Mary Ellen!