A few weeks back I made a sour cream out of cashews. Lovely! Then I realized that our humble family of two humans and one cat can only eat so many tacos. The cat really hasn’t been pulling his weight. 😉 This lead to the brilliant decision of incorporating this delicious creation into some decadently creamy cookies!
I based this recipe on my Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cookies that I made last summer. If you aren’t vegan and are OK with dairy then try these out. The sour cream flavour is so nice in cookies. It adds creaminess with a bit of tang which is so tasty and different from your typical cookie.
Using ground almonds allowed me to keep these beauties gluten free and skipping any eggs makes these vegan friendly as well. Done! All bases covered. Oh, except nut allergies. Walnuts and cashews kinds throw a wrench into that mix. Sorry about that. Trying to please everyone is a tough business.
I love using the superfood power of raw cacao powder whenever I want a chocolaty treat. Add in healthy fats from the walnuts and coconut oil and we have a pretty nutritious cookie on our hands. And in our mouths. Just sayin’.
I mixed up the batter by hand with a good old fashioned wooden spoon. It worked like a charm and I was happy not to have to clean the beaters. Any day with less dishes is a good day indeed. 😉
Using a small scoop helped to portion out the cookies. Once every bit of batter was scooped out I popped them into the oven. They didn’t spread out much, basically remaining in a little mound. This actually worked out nicely, giving them a crisp outside with a creamy, fudgy centre. The walnuts brought a nice hit of the crunch factor.
We pretty much devoured this batch of cookies. I had planned on bringing most of them into work the next day to share around but that kind of never happened. And by kind of, I mean not at all. 😉 Sorry guys!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together ground almonds, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking powder and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil with the sugars and add in the vegan sour cream and vanilla and stir well
- Slowly, add in the flour mixture and mix until well combined
- Stir in the chocolate chips & walnuts
- With a small scoop, scoop out dough onto cookie sheets. I fit 8 on each cookie sheet
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating cookie sheets halfway through
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes