This dinner salad came together in under an hour. Start to finish. Well, not including dishes, but hey, I cooked dinner so I imagine not doing the dishes in on the agenda. 😉
I make this salad on a busy weeknight because it takes no time and has barely any prep yet still has flavour and provides a ton of satisfaction. Kid friendly, man pleasing, and healthy ingredients? Check, check, check. Win, win, win. 🙂
For this recipe, I used my homemade ranch dressing. If you already have some, great. You are even more ahead of the game! I didn’t have any in the fridge so I whipped some up and plan on having the rest this week over greens with some honey mustard chicken. It only takes five minutes to make, so give it a go if you haven’t before! It’s a real keeper of a recipe.
Kinda like this one!
After making the ranch, I rinsed my romaine and popped it in the fridge to keep it cool and crisp.
Next, I sliced up two chicken breasts into strips while my cast iron pan warmed up some olive oil.
Toss the chicken strips into the pan and after they are coated in the olive oil, a nice little blend of spices get sprinkled in.
Meanwhile, I mixed some ranch dressing with some salsa. Choose your spice level. I’m using a hot blend because spicy is my thing. 😉 This becomes the sauce for your salad. I can’t even tell you how good this tastes! Yummy dinner salad! <– I’m singing that last bit.
Once the chicken is cooked through, pour the sauce over and get it all nicely introduced.
Then it’s time to layer:
Greens, crushed tortilla chips, chicken strips and taco sauce, and of course, my best friend, cheese.
Deliciousness! <– Still singing. 😉
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- If you don’t have any ranch dressing made, now is the time to make it
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat then add in the chicken strips. Coat the chicken in the oil by stirring it well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and chili powder. Leave over medium heat, stirring until fully cooked through, about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, stir ranch dressing and salsa together. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons for the greens
- Once the chicken is cooked pour the dressing/salsa combo over it, stir well and reduce to a low simmer for 5 more minutes. Give it a stir a few times
- Meanwhile, grate your cheese and toss the greens with the reserved dressing
- Build your plate starting with the greens, chips, chicken mixture and lastly the cheese