Considering I have a big bag of oats from my Homemade Granola experiment, I was inspired to make something I never made before. Oatmeal cookies! Oatmeal cookies have never been a huge draw for me as they are usually associated with raisins. I loathe raisins. For some reason they always remind me of a crappy Halloween treat. You know, that house that gives out raisins instead of a miniature Snickers bar? Sorry if that’s you, but really … it’s called Trick or ‘Treating’ … emphasis on the treating! But, I digress …
I found this recipe from the Weary Chef online, made a few adjustments to suit what I have in the cupboard, and these hearty, chewy cookies were the result.
I blended together an egg with some Earth Balance (feel free to use butter … I would have but didn’t have any) and turbinado sugar. I use turbinado as a sub for brown sugar. It’s less refined and can be easily found at the Bulk Barn.
Stir in your oats, then the greek yogurt and dark chocolate chips, and mix everything together until well combined.
I spooned them onto parchment lined sheets. They will not spread out so there doesn’t need to be a lot of space between them. The ‘batter’ is pretty fragile, so I used my tablespoon measure to place them on the sheet and then molded them into cookies with my fingers.
My mixture resulted in 21 cookies. Odd amount, I know. When I make these again I will make them a tad larger.
Rotate your sheets halfway through baking and watch for the edges to start to brown.
Let them cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies were a tad on the crumbly side, which I think was due to the fact that they are flourless. I stored them in the fridge and they were just fine. I brought the batch to work for my
guinea pigs friends and it was thumbs up all round. Well, except for my boss who had this one critisism … they would be better with raisins!
So, tell me … which do you prefer? Chocolate chips or raisins??
- ¼ cup Earth Balance
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups large flake oats
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cream Earth Balance, turbinado sugar and egg together using an electric beater until smooth and fluffy
- Stir in oats, baking soda, and salt until well mixed then stir in chocolate chips and greek yogurt until combined
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, scoop cookie dough with a tablespoon and flatten them into cookie shapes leaving about 1 inch between each. They will not spread out during baking
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets halfway through
- Watch for the edges to brown, ensuring they don’t burn
- Allow them to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack
- Store cookies in the fridge as they are a tad fragile and hold better when chilled