What else can I say about this Creamy Garden Fresh Pasta Bake other than you must make it sooner rather that later. 😉
This meal was a huge hit in our house and we happily gobbled up the leftovers for our lunch the next day. Yum-my.
I am stretching a bit by calling it ‘garden fresh’. As apartment dwellers we don’t have much of a garden to speak of, but if I did have a garden I’d be picking tomatoes, spinach and basil from the earth instead of from the produce section at my local grocery.
I am being fully honest about the creamy part though. A little cream cheese, a little Greek yogurt and a little milk and we have one freaking delicious cream sauce.
Whenever I make anything with yogurt in it I feel like I need to hide that fact from the man of the house. Joe is skeptical to say the least about Greek yogurt and as luck would have it he meandered into the kitchen just as the yogurt being added to my pan. He did not look impressed. I assured him the final product would not taste yogurt-y at all and shooed him out of my office. Ooops! I mean kitchen. 😉 I shooed him out of the kitchen.
Cut to: He loved it.
I loved it.
You’ll love it too. 🙂
Have a great weekend everyone!
- 2 cups dry penne pasta use brown rice pasta for gluten allergies
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil split
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 cup grated marble cheese
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes I used grape tomatoes sliced in half
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and set aside
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink, about 6-7 minutes. Stir every so often. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and set aside
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and stir for another minute
- Stir in the cream cheese and reduce the heat to low. Add the Greek yogurt, milk and parmesan cheese and stir well to combine. Add the spinach, tomatoes and basil and stir again. Finally add the cooked chicken and penne and stir everything well to combine
- Heat the oven to 375
- Grease a 9x9 dish and pour in the penne. Top with the grated marble cheese and bake for 20 minutes. If you like a crustier cheesy top, turn on the broiler and broil the pasta for 2 minutes or so to get that nice browned top.
- Serve warm