Texture is crucial for tasty meals and when you are making a chicken salad that crunch factor is so important. Fresh diced celery is key, but for this particular chicken salad I added something different to add that pop.
This Crunchy Chicken Avocado Salad features toasted pecans to add in that texture and a good dose of healthy fats to boot. Using the avocado over mayo or yogurt keeps things dairy and allergen free. Nice. 😉
This particular set of avocadoes gave me a bit of a hard time. They completely ignored my blogging schedule and took their sweet time ripening. After a massive struggle, which thankfully left me with all ten fingers, I prevailed and scraped out the majority of the avocado.
Soaking the avocadoes with lemon juice keeps them from oxidizing and turning a gross brown colour. I kept this salad in the fridge for two days and the colour never changed. Mashing it with the citrus helped soften them also. Thankfully this ended the battle of me vs. the semi ripe avocado. Phew!
I added in my already cooked chicken (bonus!) and some deliciously, sweetly sour green grapes. A bunch of those babies found their way into my mouth when I sliced them. I adore green grapes. Into a bowl it all goes.
Stir it all together and lunch is served.
I simply ate this as is, but it would be a great sandwich filling or stuffed into a lettuce wrap.
Happy Humpday, everyone!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crunchy Chicken Avocado Salad – Paleo & Gluten Free
- Place a skillet over medium heat and toast pecans for 3-4 minutes, watching so they don’t burn. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cubed chicken, grapes, celery and onions. Set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the avocadoes with the lemon juice and salt & pepper. Mash it until fairly smooth
- Stir the avocado mixture with the chicken mixture. Add the toasted pecans and stir to combine
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container