So excited, y’all! I love discovering new ways to use up extra cooked veggies and these Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns are just the ticket for a quick and easy side dish.
When me and my fella were first dating, one of the things he loved was my homemade breakfasts. I would do a proper English fry-up complete with bacon, over easy eggs, hot buttered toast and, my secret weapon, delicious, crispy hash browns. He was mine from the first bite!
One thing he doesn’t love however, is spaghetti squash, dammit. It’s so good and I love everything about it that I just do not understand how you can’t. But, I’m trying to learn tolerance. 😉
This is how I end up with half a cooked spaghetti squash all the time. Say I’m making a sauce, the man will have pasta, I’ll have spaghetti squash. But, I’m human and can only consume so much squash in one sitting. When the idea struck about the hash browns I was so excited to try them out. My potato version features grated shreds and it dawned on me how similar the shredded squash was. I did a quick Pinterest browse and a ton of results came back. Nothing’s original anymore, right?
My strategy was to wing it and see what happened if I used only the squash and oil in the pan. I season the spaghetti squash when I cook it (tutorial–>here) so I didn’t bother adding anything else. (And yes, my skillet is white. It’s newish and I think I hate it? )
I am super thrilled to report they worked. A tad fragile, but super delicious. A dream with eggs. I had two over easy and a generous side of these Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns as a quick lunch and was happy and satisfied.
Try these for sure the next time you find yourself with an abundance of cooked spaghetti squash. So easy and super tasty.
- 2 cups cooked & shredded spaghetti squash (about 1/2 small cooked squash)
- 1 tbsp. oil (I used coconut oil)
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat
- Press the water out of the squash with paper towels
- Form little patties (2 tablespoons or so) by pressing the squash firmly between your palms
- Place the patties gently on the warmed skillet and let cook for 5-7 minutes per side. Only flip these once if possible to get the nice browned effect
- Transfer to paper towels to drain, then serve warm