Cilantro Lime Brown Rice Recipe

by Sharon on April 22, 2016

Cilantro Lime Brown Rice

Hey hey, people! Today I have something wonderful to share with you all. Cilantro Lime Brown Rice.

Boom. ūüėČ

Since moving to Vancouver, as I admitted in my last post, I have been somewhat M.I.A in the kitchen and more present at the counter of my local Chipotles restaurant.

Shame, shame, shame, I know. ūüėČ

But, in the spirit of silver linings, I never would have discovered Cilantro Lime Brown Rice if not for my time at the quick service food chain. I like that Chipotle offers options like¬†responsibly raised meat, organic tofu¬†and finally, and most importantly to this post in particular, they offer both white and brown rice. Why would anyone¬†pick the bleached out, crappy version of rice when the far superior choice¬†is available. It’s equally delicious folks! Seriously!

Cilantro Lime Brown Rice

So, here I am, forking out my $12 for a Chicken Burrito Bowl with guacamole for the umpteenth time, when it dawned on me.

I can make this.

I’m a freaking food blogger for cripes sake!

Really, Chipotles is what nudged me back into¬†cooking/baking/blogging mode after a few months hiatus. Thanks buddy. ūüėČ

Cilantro Lime Brown Rice

This Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is perfect as a side dish or burrito filler. Leftovers warm up nicely. Use my brown rice cooking technique for this recipe, if you haven’t tried it.¬†It’s my go-to for perfectly cooked, non-mushy brown rice.

Enjoy!

Yields 4-6

Cilantro Lime Brown Rice - Gluten Free + Vegan Recipe
Save RecipeSave Recipe

• 2 cups dry brown rice, rinsed
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. sea salt

1. Cook the brown rice, using the method linked in post. Leave the cooked rice in the strainer after the water is poured out and set aside
  2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and sea salt. Stir in the minced garlic and cilantro. Add the cooked and warm rice to the cilantro lime mixture and stir well to coat all of the rice
  3. Serve warm.
7.6.4

Lauren April 23, 2016 at 12:39 pm
You know, I've never been to Chipotle? Is that insane or what? My husband and his buddies used to go there multiple times a week, and the cilantro lime rice was a staple for him. I bet your version is delicious, and I see it paired with some black beans in the near future. Easy, healthy dinner for me and the girls! :-)
Sharon April 24, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Chipotles is new to me since moving. There wasn't one in Burlington where I lived before and I have been making up for lost time!! I'm feeling much better about it now that I can recreate the experience myself. Plus, their salsa isn't my favourite. I hope the girls gobble it up! :)
Keith @ How's it Lookin? May 1, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Looks great. Lime will definitely give it some awesome flavor, thanks a lot
Sharon May 2, 2016 at 10:12 am
Thank you, Keith! A little citrus goes a long way. :) Have a great week!
Thalia @ butter and brioche May 1, 2016 at 7:27 pm
such a great idea to add cilantro and lime to rice. totally increases the flavour. love it!
Sharon May 2, 2016 at 10:12 am
Chipotles deserves all the credit! ;) Thanks Thalia. :)
Cara May 4, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Ohhh, you just gave me the idea to use garlic! I make cilantro lime rice often and never measure so something is either too Limey or too cilantroey, thanks for outlining measurements I can use! One thing I always do is add a bay leaf to the rice, even if done after the rice is cooked and is staying warm in a covered pot. It really adds a surprising depth of flavor. Thanks again, I can't wait to try with garlic.
Sharon May 5, 2016 at 11:26 am
Thanks Cara! It's ironic you say that because one of my reasons for starting this website was so I had a reference for myself when I cook. Like usually I would just throw a pinch of this and a pinch of that but not write it down or remember after the fact. I hope you love it! Great idea about the bay leaf too. It's a seasoning I under-utilize.
Chante January 29, 2017 at 11:50 pm
OMGoodness this rice is unbelievably delicious! I will be making it all the time.
Sharon January 30, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Thanks Chante! So glad you enjoy it. :)
Susan Crowe April 23, 2017 at 1:19 pm
I only make rice in my fancy high dollar rice cooker. (Only because i've never been able to make rice otherwise) I wonder if i just throw all of these ingredients together and let it all cook together. I don't see why that wouldn't work.