This Baked Honey Mustard Chicken offers a simple yet delicious way to elevate your next chicken dinner. This easy-to-follow recipe combines the flavors of tender chicken with the sweet and spicy notes of honey and mustard. It is a go-to choice for a tasty and hassle-free meal.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This dish is a keeper! Looking for other tasty chicken recipes? We love this Chicken Bean Soup and this Chicken Paprikash is another favorite that you must try. Maybe a casserole dish is more your speed? Check out this super popular Chicken Broccoli Potato Casserole. Browse through all of our Healthy Dinner Recipes.
Why YOU will love this recipe
- The flavor! The honey adds a natural sweetness, while the mustard provides a savory and slightly spicy kick. It is the perfect balance between sweet and tangy flavors.
- This recipe is relatively simple to prepare, making it an accessible option for both novice and experienced cooks. The sauce is easy to whip up with just a few ingredients, and the baking process requires minimal supervision.
- Baking the chicken instead of frying it reduces the overall fat content of the dish, making it a healthier choice.
- This chicken is also naturally gluten-free. Bonus!
- chicken – we use boneless skinless chicken breasts. You could easily substitute chicken thighs if you prefer. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as thighs might require slightly longer.
- honey – try to source out local honey if possible!
- mustard – we use a combination of three kinds of mustard in this recipe – whole grain mustard, dijon mustard, and yellow mustard.
- dried parsley + dried basil – you could also use fresh herbs if you have them!
- smoked paprika – add a lovely smoky depth to the sauce.
- fresh lemon juice – this is to balance the sweet and savory notes with a touch of acidity.
- olive oil – this helps to emulsify the ingredients making the sauce smoother and creamier.
- sea salt + black pepper – this is for seasoning the protein. Everything tastes better with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- baking dish – we use an 8×11 ceramic baking dish for this recipe.
- mixing bowl – this is for mixing together the homemade honey mustard sauce.
Start by preheating the oven to 375 and lightly greasing the pan.
Next, pat dry the chicken breasts and place them in the greased dish. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
Then, in a small bowl, add the honey, mustards, and seasonings for the honey mustard marinade.
Next, stir the contents of the bowl until the mixture is smooth and pourable.
Then, pour the honey mustard mixture over top of the chicken breasts in the baking dish.
Flip the chicken over a few times to coat both sides with the mixture.
Next, bake chicken until it is cooked through.
This takes approximately 25-30 minutes, but we recommend using a meat thermometer and checking for an internal temperature of a minimum of 165 degrees to be safe.
Baste the chicken a few times with the honey mustard while it cooks in the oven by brushing or spooning it over the chicken.
This will keep the chicken moist and prevent it from drying out.
- Add a kick of heat by incorporating some crushed red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper to the honey mustard marinade.
- Substitute lemon juice with other citrus juices like orange, lime, or grapefruit. This will add a unique tanginess and a hint of different citrus aromas to the dish.
- Incorporate toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds into the marinade for an Asian-inspired twist. The nutty flavor of sesame complements the honey and mustard well.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the marinade for a sweet and tangy glaze that enhances the overall complexity of flavors.
- Serve your baked honey mustard chicken with a medley of roasted vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, green beans, or asparagus. The natural sweetness of the roasted vegetables will harmonize with the flavors of the chicken.
- Serve the chicken over cooked grains like rice, or quinoa. The grains will soak up all of the delicious sauce.
- This dish goes well with all kinds of potatoes! For a bit of crunch, we love serving it with these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes or these oven-baked French Fries. Or go with a creamy option and plate the chicken with some old-fashioned mashed potatoes, Salted Instant Pot Potatoes, or a baked potato.
- You can’t go wrong with a side of Garlic Butter Corn. The roasted garlic taste compliments the sweet and spicy sauce.
Absolutely! Bone-in chicken pieces, like thighs or drumsticks, can work well. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as bone-in pieces may take longer to cook through.
The USDA recommends cooking chicken to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure it’s safe to eat. Use a meat thermometer to check the thickest part of the chicken.
Yes, the honey mustard sauce can be used for grilling chicken as well. Just adjust for grilling time and follow the same basic steps.
Let the chicken cool to room temperature and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More chicken recipes
**This recipe was originally posted on February 5, 2014, updated on December 14, 2018, and updated again on August 10, 2023, with recipe notes, writing, and photos.**
If you’ve tried our Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe, please rate it and let us know how it turned out by leaving me a comment below. I’m always interested in feedback!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease an 8×11 baking dish.
- Pat dry the chicken breasts and place them in the prepared dish. Season both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- Next, in a small bowl, measure out the remaining ingredients, honey, mustards, seasonings, lemon juice, and olive oil, and pour over the chicken. Flip the breasts around to coat them.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until you reach a minimum of 165° when using a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce and juices a few times while it is baking. If the sauce starts to brown too quickly, you can tent the dish with foil while the chicken finishes cooking.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
- Let the chicken cool to room temperature and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.