Crispy Sweet Potato Home Fries – Gluten Free & Vegan
These Crispy Sweet Potato Home Fries are a tasty side dish, if they make it to the plate that is! I’ve been known to sneak a few pieces before dinner. They are that good! Vegan and Gluten Free recipe.
Truth: My kitchen started smelling good about five minutes after these sweet potato ‘home fries’ went into the oven. I started patting myself on the back about two minutes after that and I hadn’t even tasted them yet! The aroma filling the room was all the proof I needed.
Sweet, spicy, smoky, crispy, these babies have it all. 🙂
Truth #2: I totally cheated and bought my sweet potatoes already peeled and chopped. Forgive me but I find them super tedious to peel, especially considering I don’t currently own a potato peeler. Yeah.
Truth #3: I need a potato peeler.
CRISPY SWEET POTATO HOME FRIES
While a pot of water gets to a simmer, you could use this time to peel and chop your potatoes.
Or twiddle your thumbs.
See Truth #3.
Simmer the potatoes just to soften them up a bit. About eight to ten minutes.
Drain the potatoes and line them up on a wire rack. Let them dry out some so they will crisp up nice when you roast them in the oven.
Meanwhile, I melted some coconut butter and coconut oil together. I’ve had the jar of coconut butter in the cupboard for awhile and my spidey-senses told me that it would be amazing on these ‘home fries’.
Gather up your seasonings and stir them together.
I used a blend of smoky flavours including paprika and cumin. To balance it with some sweetness, I added in coconut sugar, which I love.
Line your potatoes up on a parchment lined baking sheet and gently press each one down, careful not to mash it completely.
I used a large spoon, pressed down then slid the spoon away. Baste each one with the coconut butter mixture, then sprinkle on the spice blend.
Flip them over and repeat.
After they’ve roasted, not only will your kitchen smell one hundred times better than any candle ever, but you will be rewarded with these delicious disks of delight.
They would pair amazingly as a side with roast chicken, eggs, maybe even crumbled over some cooked quinoa. You name it!
Joe devoured a plateful right out of the oven with a side of ketchup. I, of course, savoured each bite in a very lady-like manner.
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES:
Eggs with Avocado and Sweet Potato Toast
Quinoa Stuffed Maple Sweet Potato
*Originally posted February 26, 2014. Updated March 7, 2019
Be sure to follow me on social media! I love pinning to Pinterest, sharing on Facebook and posting pics to Instagram. See you there. 🙂
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crispy Sweet Potato Home Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into 1/12 inch thick chunks (or but it pre-chopped!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh pepper coarsely ground
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a bubbling simmer over medium heat
- Add the potato chunks to the water until slightly softened, about 8-10 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix the dry seasonings together in a small bowl
- Strain the potatoes and lay them out on a wire rack until the outsides have dried. This is so they will crisp up nicely in the oven
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut butter and coconut oil together over low heat, until liquid
- Once the potatoes have dried, transfer them to the parchment lined sheet and press down with a large spoon until the edges have ridges
- Using a pastry brush, spread a thin layer of the coconut mixture on each potato
- Sprinkle some of the spice mixture over each slice, and rub it in a bit with your finger
- Gently turn oven each potato, and repeat
- Pop into the oven for about 15 minutes, until the bottoms are crispy, then gently flip them over and roast for another 10-15 minutes until they have browned