One pot is all you need for this delicious, fiber filled side dish. One Pot Mexican Brown Rice and Beans pairs up well with whatever protein you choose. Gluten Free!
It seems that fun and interesting side dishes are few and far between. I know a lot of women (men too!) struggle to put something other than the usual potatoes or salad on the plate as a side.
If this sounds like you, then say a warm, spicy welcome to this One Pot Mexican Brown Rice & Beans.
ONE POT MEXICAN BROWN RICE AND BEANS
I’m a HUGE fan of Mexican inspired cuisine. I love the fresh flavours, the hot sauces, the variety of veggies, the hot sauces, the quality protein, the hot sauces.
You get the picture. 😉
This side dish is pretty easy to throw together also. I started by getting some Chili Lime Chicken in the oven.
Then I sautéed up my veggies in a saucepot, added the brown rice and beans along with some veggie broth and BOOM! Twenty minutes later you are in business.
Sprinkle the rice and beans liberally with cheese, fresh cut green onions and a dollop of sour cream.
Don’t worry about it being to fiery for the kids either. I only added a bit of chili powder and cumin to this recipe.
For those who like it a little spicier, the hot sauce bottle can be your friend. I mentioned hot sauces, right? 😉
Can I say a quick word about that cheese and sour cream? It’s a good idea to choose good quality, organic dairy products, local if possible. Supporting your local dairy farmers reduces your impact on the environment and will put jobs and dollars back into your own community. That’s important, don’t you think?
OK, soap box time is over. Onto some yummy rice ‘n beans.
Have yourselves a great week, everyone!
MORE HEALTHY MEXICAN RECIPES:
*Originally posted July 24, 2015. Updated March 5, 2019
One pot is all you need for this delicious, fiber filled side dish. One Pot Mexican Brown Rice and Beans pairs up well with whatever protein you choose.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup brown rice rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups of broth/water divided
- garnishes - shredded cheese chopped green onions, sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the onion, peppers, and celery along with some salt and pepper. Stir and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and keep stirring for another minute
- Add the spices, beans, rice and 1 cup of the broth/water. Stir really well and simmer, covered for about 25 minutes. Stir every five minutes or so and add more water or broth when needed. I used about 2 cups. Check the rice by taste testing to make sure it's cooked through and not crunchy
- Serve warm topped with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and sour cream.