After the success of my first attempt at making rice out of cauliflower, I knew more variations of the dish would be in our future. Welcome, Mexican Cauliflower “Rice”.
Since I love the heat, Mexican spices and salsa were just the thing for this veggie based side dish.
It’s funny, I always see helpful articles or info-graphics on how to sneak more vegetables into our kids, yet not a lot about making it interesting for adults also. I mean, I am a healthy eater but always getting the recommended amount of veggies can be a challenge. I like to do a green smoothie daily to get those nutrient rich leafies into my system, but after that veggies lose their star power to more glamorous ingredients like avocado or dark chocolate. 😉
The discovery of making the rice like side dish out of cauliflower first came onto my radar when I did the Whole 30 Challenge back in April. I liked it, Joe liked it and we have enjoyed the Chicken Fried Cauliflower “Rice” a number of times since. Now to head south and give it a Mexican kick. The flavours were perfect with the texture of the riced cauliflower and when you hook yourself up with some avocado to go along with it? Heaven. Such a tasty dish and it reheats really well too. I liked that it was entirely vegetable based, yet super filling like you had eaten a plate of grains. We had it alongside some Chili Lime Chicken.
The plate, by the way was a gift from my bestie Julie who brought it back from Mexico with her a few years back when she visiting family. Makes it more authentic when you serve it on ceramic directly from Mexico, dontcha think? 🙂
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Make the cauliflower into rice by pulsing florets in a food processor ( I work in two batches ) until it resembles rice, about 10-15 pulses. Place it in a bowl and set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the diced onion and peppers and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook for another minute, stirring. Add the cumin, garlic powder and cayenne and stir to combine everything
- Add the cauliflower rice, stir, reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Let cook for 5-8 minutes, checking for desired tenderness
- Stir in the salsa and fresh cilantro and garnish with avocado slices