Replace that bread with veggies for breakfast! This recipe for Eggs with Avocado and Sweet Potato Toast is a deliciously healthy way to start your day.
Are you considering keto or doing the Whole 30?
One of the challenges is the no grains part.
Grains, not to mention legumes and beans are big staples in a mostly vegetarian diet like mine. I’ll eat chicken maybe twice a week and then it’s a variety of meatless dishes gracing our table.
EGGS WITH AVOCADO + SWEET POTATO TOAST
A brilliant strategy I saw on the Whole 30 website was using vegetables, like the lovely sweet potato, slicing them length-wise and crisping them up in the oven to mimic toast.
What’s better on “toast” than avocado and a perfectly fried egg? In this case, on this day, nothing. I scraped up every last bit off my plate. Simple deliciousness.
Between this and the macadamias, the Whole 30 is kind of a breeze. 😉
I squeezed just a bit of lemon into the mashed avocado then sprinkled with some chili flakes. Then I tried not to just eat the bowlful with my mashing fork.
I am loving this avocado.
The key ingredient is the most subtle. When the sweet potatoes come out of the oven, rub them with a crushed clove of garlic. It adds flavour without overpowering the dish.
Is there anything garlic can’t do?
You can cook your eggs however you prefer, but I really recommend the fried egg with the sweet potato & avocado combo. The slightly runny yolks blend in perfectly.
Remember, just because this is an egg dish it doesn’t mean for breakfast only.
This is a great option for a quick lunch or dinner also. Anytime is Eggs with Avocado & Sweet Potato “Toast” time as far as I’m concerned.
MORE HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPES:
Originally posted April 10, 2015. Updated January 9, 2020
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Line the slices of sweet potato on the lined baking sheet and brush them with the coconut oil, flip them over and brush the other side
- Pop into the oven for 30 minutes, flipping them over after 20 minutes
- When the potato 'toast' comes out of the oven rub the slices with the fresh garlic
- Mash the avocado in a bowl along with the lemon juice, sea salt, fresh pepper and chili flakes
- Spread it onto the sweet potatoes
- Cook your eggs how you like them. I fried mine, over easy with the yolk a little runny.