Coconut & Almond Butter Energy Balls – No Added Sugar

by Sharon on March 12, 2014

Coconut Almond Butter Energy Balls--020

I’ve been on a quest to master the art of eating before exercising. I kinda just used to do the old cuppa coffee route but, after some serious light headed-ness during a workout, I decided to start investigating alternatives. I like to workout in the AM and get it out of the way, which is why coffee was my usual choice. It’s quick and effective and I don’t need a lot of time to prepare it. I don’t want to sacrifice precious sleep time to spend an hour in the kitchen making something complicated.

On Monday, I saw fellow Burlington blogger, Chelsea post an energy ball featuring a fig butter. It sounded amazing, only I don’t have any fig butter. Curses! I rooted around to see what would work and, voila, these Energy Balls were born. Using the protein power of almond butter, the slow releasing energy from the oats (use certified gluten free oats if you are celiac), fibre boost courtesy of some ground flax, and the creamy loveliness of the coconut butter. No added sugar make these ideal for kids as well. No sugar spike or crash.

Coconut Almond Butter Energy Balls-024

Melt together the coconut butter, almond butter and vanilla until silky.

Meanwhile stir together the dry ingredients.

Coconut Almond Butter Energy Balls-011

Combine the the mixtures, stir well and roll into golf ball sized balls. Obviously this is hard to photograph without either a hand model or photography assistant and since I currently have neither ( hand model applications accepted ;) ) there is no shot of the balls being rolled. To achieve a nice, round texture, I pressed each ball in my hand, very firmly, then rolled it into a round ball by rotating it around in the palm of my hand.

Coconut Almond Butter Energy Balls--016

Then I popped them into a glass container and stored them in the fridge. I will also stop saying balls.

Coconut Almond Butter Energy Balls-028

These take 10 minutes to roll together and are stored in the fridge. Pop one in your mouth an hour before you hit the gym and you will be fueled for your session. I’m going to be honest, I ate two of them. #bigappetite

Coconut Almond Butter Energy Balls--018

Coconut & Almond Butter Energy Balls

Yield: 7

• 1/4 cup almond butter (I used chunky)
  • 3 tbsp coconut butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup oats (read label if you require gluten free)
  • 3 tbsp ground flax
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt

1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flax seed, cinnamon and sea salt. Set aside
  2. In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt together coconut butter, almond butter and vanilla
  3. Pour the almond butter mixture over the oat mixture and stir well
  4. Roll in the palm of your hand to form a golf ball sized energy ball
  5. Store in the fridge for at least an hour to set
  6. Keep refrigerated in a sealed glass container

Karen March 12, 2014 at 9:28 am

I love these balls! lolz, had to!! These look great plus I love how easy they are – add ingreds together, roll & fridge – this is the perfect recipe for me. I also workout in the mornings but I do always get breakfast in before I go, otherwise I don’t feel I have enough energy to lift heavy…these will do!! :)
p.s. is it bad that I would probably eat more than two? lolz!

Sharon Sharon March 12, 2014 at 9:46 am

Thanks Karen! I’m trying out your breakfast muffins this week for pre workout also. I’m determined to get this eating before exercising down to a science. The balls are great but I do like variety. Maybe a variety of balls? Didn’t I promise to stop saying balls? Balls, balls, balls! :)

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run March 12, 2014 at 10:17 am

YUM!

Julie Miller March 12, 2014 at 11:41 am

Hey Sharon
Puréed dates work in lieu of figs too….high in sugar , but some good micro nutrients and a real food:)

Sharon Sharon March 12, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Good to know! I usually have dates on hand, too. Gotta love that real food. :)

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen March 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

I’ve been meaning to make energy balls with coconut butter at some point. These look fantastic! I usually need to eat something before my a.m. workouts as well, otherwise my grumbling stomach and low energy make for a crappy workout.

And thanks for the shout out! :) If you ever want to buy fig jam. you can get it at Fortino’s near the cheeses.

Sharon Sharon March 12, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Perfect location. I have been known to be found hovering by the cheese. :) Enjoy the storm!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 12, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Ball lover here too! ;) These look perfect! Coconut and almond are a match made in heaven.

Sharon Sharon March 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Sarah! Ball lovers unite. :)

Dearna @tohercore March 13, 2014 at 4:38 am

Haha, Im another ball lover ;) These sound like the perfect little pre (or post) gym snack… or anytime snack, really!

Stephanie March 27, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I am new to coconut butter and just read up on how to make it, but that probably won’t happen real soon…..so I’m wondering what a decent substitute (that is at least somewhat healthy) would be. I would love to make these soon! I need a quick shot of food in my stomach before my morning runs and I think these would work. I normally just do a small bunch of almonds, but feel like some carbs may be good too. Maybe I just add a bit more almond butter?

Sharon Sharon March 27, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I would definitely try using more almond butter. I only wonder if the coconut butter helps to keep them from being super crumbly? Let me know how they turn out! :)

Wendy Omiotek March 31, 2014 at 7:38 pm

When you say “coconut butter” do you mean Earth Balance Organic Coconut Flavour Spread? If not, can you tell me where I can find coconut butter and I will let you know how the flavour spread works out as I am trying these right now!

Sharon Sharon March 31, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Hey Wendy! I used a brand called Artisana. It’s made from 100% coconut. I bought my jar at Goodness Me on sale. I think the spread would also work though? Let me know how it goes. :)

Emily miller July 31, 2014 at 1:34 am

I absolutely love these
Plz email me I have many questions for you

Amanda August 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Sharon!

Have I mentioned that I love your website? And that I’m new to healthy? Please answer my stupid questions with as little judgement as you can muster. ;)

1. Could I use coconut oil instead of coconut butter? I’ve never used coconut butter…is it a totally different consistency?
2. In general, can I substitute ground chia where your recipes say ground flax? Perhaps we should talka bout this on the weekend….I’m sure you have much wisdom to share. ;)

Sharon Sharon August 19, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Amanda!

You are cute. :)

1. For these, it has to be a butter. If you don’t have the coconut butter use the equivalent of either more almond butter or add peanut butter.
2. I’m pretty sure ground chia would be an excellent sub!

Still up for sharing more wisdom this weekend though! Have missed your face. :)