Sweet and slightly salty oats with a luscious fudgy center. These Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars are a regular thing around our kitchen for obvious reasons.
You know that satisfying feeling when a plan is flawlessly executed? When something turns out exactly as you wanted it to?
That happened with these Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars.
The minute I sliced into them and saw that decadent fudgy layer, I knew we had a winner.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER OAT BARS
Success in the kitchen has been elusive as of late. A failed jicama slaw (so watery!) and endless cheese cracker recipes (why my work pants are tight) has left me with precious little to blog about for the last couple of weeks.
But these squares are not only blog worthy, they are definitely a new favourite.
There are two ways to make these. You can use either coconut oil or grass fed butter.
I loved both variations.
The coconut oil version is probably the healthier way to go, but I found with the grass fed butter version I felt satisfied with a smaller amount. I also found grass fed butter from New Zealand on sale at my grocery which never happens, so I indulged.
Either way, super delicious. Do you!
I stored these in the freezer because I like my chocolate treats icy cold. It’s a tradition in our house for me to put anything chocolate directly into the fridge or freezer before it gets eaten.
Is it just me or does it taste better when chilled?
Either way, these would be an energizing afternoon pick me up or the perfect after dinner treat with a nice cup of peppermint tea or a creamy coffee.
I love how fancy the fudgy center looks. It’s super easy too! Don’t forget to save a tablespoon or two to drizzle over the top.
Can oat bars be gourmet? Lol!
MORE HEALTHY SNACK RECIPES:
Originally Posted May 1, 2017 Updated June 23, 2019
Adapted from this great recipe!
- 1 cup coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter I used chunky
- Line a 8x8 dish with parchment paper & set aside
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt together the coconut oil (or butter) sugar and vanilla. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Add in the oats, cinnamon and sea salt. Stir constantly for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat
- Pour 1/2 the mixture into the bottom of the parchment lined dish and using the back of a spoon, flatten it out evenly. Set the remaining mixture aside
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the chocolate chips and peanut butter and keep stirring until the it is smooth and the chocolate is melted
- Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the oat layer in the 8x8 dish, reserving 2-3 tablespoons to drizzle over the top
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture evenly over the chocolate payer, then drizzle the last of the chocolate peanut butter over it
- Pop into the fridge for a few hours (3-4) to set
- Slice into 16 squares (I cut 1 square into 4 bite sized pieces when I eat it)