These Vegan Strawberry Crumble Bars are just the right amount of sweetness and texture. The berries mix with maple syrup to create the middle layer and you will love the crumble topping.
One of the many wonderful advantages of writing a food blog is the connections I’ve made with other bloggers. I love like-minded, health conscious people who totally don’t think taking pictures of food is weird. 😉 I’ve been reading various recipe sites/blogs for quite a long time, but not until I actually started writing/photographing my own, did I truly relate to the time, effort and passion behind them.
This recipe was inspired by a fellow Canadian blogger, Melissa from Wholesomely Homemade* who, like me, studies Natural Nutrition and like the name suggests, has a love of homemade food. When she posted her recipe for strawberry bars, they immediately went to the top of my to-make list. *blog no longer running
Vegan Strawberry Crumble Bars
Light, slightly sweet, easy to make. These fit the bill for a great, wholesome snack that your family will love.
Firstly, get those berries in a bath of a bit of filtered water, lightly sweetened with maple syrup, and reduce it down to a chunky syrup. This takes about ten minutes.
Meanwhile, in large bowl stir together the dry ingredients that will serve as both the base and the ‘crumble’ top of these yummy bars. I kept things dairy free by using my favourite butter substitute, coconut oil. I also like to use spelt flour for baking. While it does contain gluten, spelt flour is digested much easier by the body than your basic all-purpose. I find it works amazing in baked goods.
Layer the crumb mixture with the strawberry filling in the centre and off it goes into the oven.
I let this cool on a little table by my kitchen window and felt all ‘Leave it to Beaver’-ish. Yes, I’m super old. 😉
The verdict was in. These Vegan Strawberry Crumble Bars were SO good. I packed half the batch up and gifted it to my faithful trainer, Kathy, at my gym for her to share with her family. If I didn’t, there is no doubt Joe and I would’ve devoured the entire lot of them. Yes, that good. Thanks Melissa! 🙂
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Heat oven to 350 and line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment
- In a small saucepan add the filling ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring and breaking up the berries with the back of the spoon. Once the filling has thickened, remove it from the heat and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Once they are combined, stir in the liquefied coconut oil and stir well
- In the parchment lined pan, press in just over half of the crust mixture to make a nice even base
- Spread the strawberry filling over the base and spread evenly
- Top the filling with the remaining crumble mixture
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden
- Cool completely