Happy Monday everyone! I thought a little chocolate would make the week just wee bit brighter for you. 🙂
I can’t get enough of the chocolaty treats lately! A strategy I use to keep up with healthy eating habits is to always have homemade treats on hand. I mean, who are we kidding? Treats and snacks are going to get eaten either way, so I just always have a batch of something yummy on hand to nosh on when the munchies hit.
These little devils are sinfully decadent and equally satisfying. A fudgy bottom with a cold, crisp dark chocolate topping.
We’ve already marched our way through a number of batches of these protein bars. I used a chocolate hemp protein blend from North Coast Naturals. Love hemp! For me, I like to munch one in the morning before the gym. They’re light enough that I don’t feel that bowling ball in my belly yet packed with enough energy to fuel me through my class.
This recipe is a close re-creation of –> this Maple Vanilla Protein Fudge <– but created for the chocoholic in all of us. 😉
What I like most about this recipe is the simplicity. Mash good stuff together in a bowl.
That stuff becomes the base of your bars. The delicious fudgy base. It gets mashed into a parchment lined dish and popped into the freezer.
Melt some dark chocolate together with some silky coconut oil. This is poured over the firmed base.
I like to use a hot knife, warmed under hot running water, to get a nice, clean cut.
- FOR THE BASE
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- Line a medium sized (like an 8x8) dish with parchment and set aside
- Combine all of the ingredients for the base in a bowl and mash it all together well with a fork. Press the dough into the prepared dish very firmly and pop into the freezer
- Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients in a small sauce pan and set it over medium low heat. Stir until smooth
- Remove the base from the freezer and pour the melted chocolate over it. Tilt the dish around to get even coverage then sprinkle with sea salt
- Return to the freezer for another fifteen minutes to set
Slice into eight squares and store in the fridge in a sealed container.