Any time Joe eats quinoa I want to party like it’s 1999. 😉
Granted he was pretty hungry but, he ate every bite. I enjoyed this Honey Lemon Quinoa Chicken Salad right away, but Joe is always my most feared/revered critic and quinoa usually is not his thing.
This was. Happy dance. 🙂
The chicken I used is a popular Honour System marinade, featuring honey and mustard. Perfect for this dish which had an even mix of sweet, sour and savoury. Oh, and don’t forget crunch! These peanuts were the crowning glory. The forkfuls that had peanuts on it were hotly anticipated.
What I particularly like is that this salad has a distinctive flavour of Spring.
You see, we live in Canada in a quaint lakeside community that for nine or ten months out of the year is picture perfect, with hot Summer days and incredible Fall colours. But Winter here is a cruel bitch. Excuse my French. 😉 We got absolutely buried in snow this past January and February. Snow day number one is peaceful and fresh.
Snow day number twenty-five doesn’t feature quite the same shine, if you know what I mean. We couldn’t see our mall from the street for weeks due to the ten foot high, dirty drifts from the snow plows. The exact opposite of ‘pure as the driven snow’.
So to help shake off the cloak of this cold season, I’m busting out the lemons and the local honey. The day got brighter instantly.
And what about the colours of the quinoa? I like using a tri-colour quinoa. It gives you different textures that definitely add interest.
Have you heard of this trick for cooking quinoa? After it boils and you set it aside, covered, pop a sheet of paper towel between the lid and the pot to catch the condensation that builds up on the lid.
Thanks for that one, Gwyneth Paltrow!
So if you’re looking to kick start your Spring meal repertoire, give this tasty dish a try. Man approved!
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tbsp. mustard
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 lemon juiced 1 tbsp.
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup honey roasted peanuts
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Transfer the cooked quinoa to a large mixing bowl
- Add the honey and mustard to the hot quinoa and gently stir it in. Cover the bowl and set aside for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl stir together the shredded chicken with the lemon juice, chopped cilantro & sliced green onions
- Add the chicken mixture to the warm quinoa and fold together. Stir in the lemon zest and roasted peanuts.