I just LOVE rice salads for summer. This healthy spin-off turns “Texas Caviar” into this Cowboy Brown Rice Salad. It is delicious brown rice, black bean, and corn salad featuring creamy avocado and fresh cilantro.
Are you ready for this spicy rice salad in your life?
With the weather warming up my mind is drifting to hearty, healthy rice salad bowls alongside grilled chicken, shrimp or burgers off the grill.
COWBOY BROWN RICE SALAD
This particular recipe is for brown rice salad served cold. I find the chewiness of brown rice is the perfect texture to stand up in a salad, especially one like this with a TON of stuff going on. We’ve got crisp veggies, sweet tomatoes, creamy avocado, fresh cilantro, summer corn, whew!
I’m spinning off of a cowboy caviar recipe for this salad.
Why is it called cowboy caviar?
It was created by a Texas woman. Does being from Texas automatically make one a cowboy?
Come to think of it, I believe it was first dubbed “Texas Caviar” which makes more sense.
I suppose cowboys do the eating though!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR COWBOY BROWN RICE SALAD
What will you need to pull off this rice and bean salad?
- cooked and cooled brown rice
- black beans
- tomatoes (I typically use a can of Rotel)
- bell pepper (any color you like – red, yellow, green – they all work)
- corn kernels (If there is no fresh, I use frozen non-GMO kernels. They thaw super quick. Simply take them out before starting everything else.)
- red onion
- freshly chopped cilantro
The sweet and spicy dressing is key. For that you will need:
- oil (extra virgin olive oil is my preferred oil for salads)
- fresh lime juice (roll those babies on the counter before squeezing to loosen up all that juice!)
- maple syrup (honey works too but it will not be vegan)
- chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
HOW LONG WILL THIS RICE SALAD KEEP?
Once it is prepared, keep your brown rice salad with avocado sealed in the fridge for up to four days. The lime juice will oxidize the avocado so it won’t turn brown.
This is a great rice salad for a bbq as a little goes a long way and you can really feed a crowd with it.
Or portion it out for meal prep and keep it your refrigerator for four days worth of lunches.
TIP – When enjoying leftovers, use a slotted spoon to scoop out your portions! There will be a lot of water/juice released from the veggies that will pool at the bottom. Give it a good stir before having it and use that slotted spoon.
MORE HEALTHY SALAD RECIPES:
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This healthy spin off turns "Texas Caviar" into this Cowboy Brown Rice Salad. It is a delicious brown rice, black bean and corn salad featuring creamy avocado and fresh cilantro
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can rotel tomatoes with chilis or a cup of chunky salsa
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
- 3/4 cup diced bell pepper use any colour you like!
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup corn kernels use fresh or thaw from frozen
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
In a large mixing bowl stir together all of the salad ingredients and mix well.
In a small mason jar, add the dressing ingredients, screw on the lid and shake really well to emulsify.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes for flavours to develop. Serve cold.
Store covered in the fridge for up to four days. TIP - Stir well before dishing out leftovers and use a slotted spoon to avoid any liquid that may pool at the bottom.