If you’re looking for a fresh, veggie packed meal with a ton of flavour look no further than this Greek Style Lentil Salad. I love a good dinner salad and this one combines the great texture of lentils with that salty punch from the feta cheese, which is a total Greek staple.
I worked at a super popular Greek restaurant as a hostess when I was in my early twenties. It was lined up around the block on weekends and their signature dish was a cheese centred appetizer called Saganaki. There was theatre involved with this dish as it was doused in brandy and served flaming tableside.
Part of my job as hostess was to assist the servers with this appetizer. They would pour the brandy over the hot brick of cheese and I would light it on fire. To say I revelled in this task would be an understatement. I would conspire with the servers to use as much brandy as possible, then I would light two matches and daringly stretch my hand towards the dish. Poof! Sometimes the flames would almost touch the ceiling! It was always a little goal of ours, but never achieved. That’s probably a good thing. 😉
One thing is for sure, that restaurant sold a ton of Saganaki. 😉
Flaming cheeses aside, a Mediterranean style diet has proven to be quite a healthy one and this Greek Style Lentil Salad is no different.
A rainbow of vegetables brings a variety of nutrients and lots of protein from the lentils and chicken makes this salad a complete meal. You could also leave off the chicken and enjoy a meatless entrée which is always nice too.
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 1/2 cups dry green lentils
- 1/2 medium cucumber diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce shredded
- 2 cooked chicken breasts cubed
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- fresh pepper
- Cook lentils according to package instructions then set aside to cool
- Chop your veggies, greens and cooked chicken and place them in a large mixing bowl
- In a small jar combine the dressing ingredients and shake well
- Add the lentils to the mixing bowl with the veggies and chicken. Pour on the dressing and toss well. Add the crumbled feta and toss again
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least two hours for the flavours to develop
- Keep covered and refrigerated for up to a week