Looking for a lighter meal on your menu? This Greek Style Chicken Lentil Salad is a delicious, gluten free lunch or light dinner that also packs up really well for work or school.
If you’re looking for a fresh, veggie packed meal with a ton of flavour look no further than this Greek Chicken and Lentil Salad.
I love a good dinner salad and this one combines the great texture of lentils with that salty punch from the feta cheese, which is a total Greek staple.
GREEK STYLE CHICKEN LENTIL SALAD
I worked at a super popular Greek restaurant as a hostess when I was in my early twenties.
It was lined up around the block on weekends and their signature dish was a cheese centered appetizer called Saganaki. There was theater involved with this dish as it was doused in brandy and served flaming table-side.
Part of my job as hostess was to assist the servers with this appetizer. They would pour the brandy over the hot brick of cheese and I would light it on fire.
To say I reveled in this task would be an understatement. I would conspire with the servers to use as much brandy as possible, then I would light two matches and daringly stretch my hand towards the dish.
Sometimes the flames would almost touch the ceiling! It was always a little goal of ours, but never achieved. That’s probably a good thing. 😉
One thing is for sure, that restaurant sold a ton of Saganaki. 😉
Flaming cheeses aside, a Mediterranean style diet has proven to be quite a healthy one and this Greek Style Lentil Salad is no different.
A rainbow of vegetables brings a variety of nutrients and lots of protein from the lentils and chicken makes this salad a complete meal.
You could also leave off the chicken and enjoy a meatless entree which is always nice too.
MORE HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE SALAD RECIPES:
*Originally posted June 12, 2015. April 3, 2019*
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a lighter meal on your menu? This Greek Chicken and Lentil Salad is a delicious, gluten free lunch or light dinner that also packs up really well for work or school.
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 1/2 cups dry green lentils
- 1/2 medium cucumber diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce shredded
- 2 cooked chicken breasts cubed
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- fresh pepper
- Cook lentils according to package instructions then set aside to cool
- Chop your veggies, greens and cooked chicken and place them in a large mixing bowl
- In a small jar combine the dressing ingredients and shake well
- Add the lentils to the mixing bowl with the veggies and chicken. Pour on the dressing and toss well. Add the crumbled feta and toss again
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least two hours for the flavours to develop
- Keep covered and refrigerated for up to a week