This easy and healthy Three Bean Salad features a Mexican-inspired cilantro salsa dressing. A classic 3 bean salad recipe that is perfect for BBQs and meal prep!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beans are obviously the star of the show for this 3 bean salad.
Also, in the summer heat, there is nothing better feeling than a refreshing, cool salad out of the fridge – prepped, ready to go and full of flavour.
How to make this hearty salad
First, start with drained kidney beans, black beans, and chickpeas, as well as sliced bell peppers and red onion.
The base for my salad dressing is salsa. You can use your favourite brand or make your own! I like the pico de gallo style Herdez makes. It tastes super fresh!
I like to use a mason jar to shake my homemade dressings like this Balsamic Vinaigrette or Healthy Honey Mustard Dressing – but since I had the amount I needed in the salsa bottle it served as double duty when I made the dressing for this old fashioned three bean salad.
Next, pour the dressing over the beans, peppers and onions and tossed everything together thoroughly.
The bowl was covered then stored in the fridge for a couple of hours to let all the flavours marry together.
This dish has taste, tang, and texture.
Serve this alongside your favourite grilled items like chicken, burgers and steaks. It is perfect for potlucks or BBQs paired up with some protein-packed deviled eggs.
OR enjoy this as meal prep. The salad tastes even better the next day and is a great option for a light lunch.
More healthy salad ideas:
- Trail Mix Salad
- Lemon Basil Chicken Salad
- Taco Salad
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Fattoush Salad
- Chopped Detox Salad
**This recipe was originally posted on July 4, 2014. Updated April 24, 2019, and updated again on June 11, 2021, with recipe notes, writing, and photos.**
If you’ve tried my Three Bean Salad, please rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out by leaving me a comment below. I’m always interested in feedback!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Three Bean Salad
- 3 cans of beans, rinsed and drained (I use kidney beans, black beans, and chickpeas) 398ml
- 1 ½ bell peppers thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Place the beans, peppers, and onion in a large bowl and toss together.
- In a small mason jar (or the salsa bottle!) combine the remaining ingredients and shake well.
- Pour dressing over the bean mixture and toss until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour up to overnight. This salad will keep stored in the fridge for up to four days.
- After the salad has been sitting in the fridge use a slotted spoon to serve and drain the excess liquid from the bottom of the bowl.