Now that it’s officially soup and chili season, allow me to warn you that the blog will be completely hijacked by recipes for warm, comforting bowls of goodness. That being said, this week I was in the mood for something with a kick and decided to go with a thai curry inspired chicken soup, made uber creamy-like with coconut milk. For the heat, I picked up a jar of red curry paste at Fortinos. I had used this spice blend before in an asian beef skewer dish I used to make. Besides great flavour, I also like it’s short, pronounceable ingredient list.
I had no leftover cooked chicken in the fridge so the first thing I needed to do was get the chicken started. I used the red curry paste to marinate my chicken before cooking it to add more oopmh. I popped this in the fridge in the AM and then popped it in the oven for dinner time to cook while I prepped the rest of the meal.
Into my soup pot I combined a heaping tablespoon of the red curry paste with coconut milk. I wouldn’t recommend using a low fat version of coconut milk. What makes this soup extra special is the great balance of spice and smoooooth and to keep the smoooooth you need the creaminess of the coconut milk. I loved the colour that this combination made. An awesome pinkish hue 😉
Then I added in my peppers. I wanted these to kind of remain crisp tender in this soup. My end goal is to have a ‘use your teeth’ kind of soup so I didn’t want the veggies to be soft.
After the veggies have cooked through and have started to relax, I added in my chickpeas and chicken.
Once all of the ingredients have soaked up all the essence of the spicy, creamy broth, you are ready to rock! The last step is to garnish with the freshly cut green onions. The addition of the green added great colour and depth of flavour. I was so happy with this soup. I brought some into work for my dutiful taste testers and the results were thumbs up all round.
They recommend you try it 😉
- 2 14 oz cans of premium full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 red pepper cut into thin strips
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 chicken breasts cooked & shredded
- 1 can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 3 green onions sliced thinly on the diagonal
- In a large pot, over medium heat, empty contents of the coconut milk and stir in the red curry paste until smooth
- Add in the thinly sliced peppers and stir well
- Pour in the broth, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
- Add in the shredded chicken & chickpeas and simmer for 20 minutes
- Top each serving with sliced green onions