‘Not-So-Dumb’ Blonde Macaroons – Only 4 Ingredients

by Sharon on April 10, 2013

Coconut Macaroons

This was one of the first ‘healthy’ dessert type recipes that I tried a few years back. I didn’t have things like almond extract that is listed in the recipe I found over at Detoxinista, but I had a go with what I had. The result is magic. Cue angels singing! 🙂

The simple combination of coconut, maple syrup, sea salt and vanilla turns into a decadent treat that is dangerously good. By dangerous, I mean I had to take a majority of these blondies to work so Joe doesn’t eat every last one.

Unlike quinoa, he likes these…

While these goodies are easy to make, they are loud to make as a stretch in the food processor is required. I believe a high powered mixer like a Vita-Mix would also work, if you are lucky enough to have one. #jealous

Buzz 2 2/3 cups of the shredded coconut in the processor for about 5 minutes on high, until it is the consistency of a soft butter. You could also just buy the coconut butter if you are so inclined. I have ear plugs so I’m going to make my own…

Blonde Macaroons

Make sure you scrape the sides down once or twice.

Mix the coconut butter with the remaining shredded coconut, vanilla and sea salt.

Blonde Macaroons

Give it that hint of saltiness by using a coarser sea salt. I like to smoosh a couple pieces into each macaroon before baking to make sure each one has a punch of it.

Blonde Macaroons

Bake

Blonde Macaroons

The hardest part is waiting the 25 minutes for them to set and cool. And yes, you must let these cool…they will fall apart if you try to sneak bites when they are right out of the oven. I may or may not know this from experience…

One thing I do want to say is that, these macaroons, although consisting almost entirely of coconut, don’t really taste that coconut-y. They taste like  salted buttery morsels with a hint of vanilla warmth. They are crisp on the outside and feathery in the centre.

Coconut Macaroons

These are awesome and made from recognizable ingredients. Do yourself a favour and whip up a batch of these goodies. This is an honest way to treat yourself!

And to those lucky dogs at work who got one…you’re welcome! 🙂

Coconut Macaroons

Serves 22

‘Not-So-Dumb’ Blonde Macaroons – Only 4 Ingredients

• 2 2/3 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut, processed into butter (or 1 cup coconut butter)
  • 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp coarse sea salt

1. Process 2 2/3 cups shredded coconut in food processor for around 5 minutes until it is smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally. I the meantime, mix the other ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the coconut butter. Mix all together and scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
  2. These macaroons will not spread out while cooking so don't fret about them bring placed close together.
  3. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Cook time depends on your own oven so watch closely after 20 minutes that the bottoms don't burn. They should be a golden blonde!
  4. Let cool for 25 minutes and store in a container for up to a week.

Click for Nutritional Stats

Erin July 25, 2014 at 4:20 pm

These came out way too salty. Was the 1 tbsp of salt a typo?

Margaret April 4, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Definitely way too much salt!!!

Jeanette December 2, 2014 at 8:55 pm

What kind of shredded coconut? Sweetened, or unsweetened?

Sharon December 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Good point! I use unsweetened. Thanks Jeanette. 🙂

Drew May 6, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Really wish I’d seen this/thought about this. My coconut wouldn’t turn into butter and I couldn’t figure out why. Turns out, according to lots of other websites, sweetened coconut won’t work to make coconut butter! Recipe ruined. 🙁

Drew May 7, 2015 at 12:05 am

I should probably clarify: I could have dumped the coconut out after 15 minutes of blending with no results. Instead, I read somewhere that you can just add coconut oil. 1 Tbsp, blend 2-3 minutes, slightly better, blend 2-3 more, no change. Add 2 Tbsp, blend 2-3 minutes. Slightly better. Blend 5 minutes– no change. It seems blending has no effect, but adding oil does. Okay, we’ll add oil until this thing turns into a liquid.

Not a good idea. Here is what I came away with: https://plus.google.com/109555152111682469728/posts

I removed it from the oven, poured it through a sieve to get rid of the oil, added almond flour and corn starch, and tried again. A little better the second time. Tastes good. But man… what a frustrating experience!

Sharon May 7, 2015 at 8:30 am

Yikes! So sorry about all the fuss. I have modified the recipe to state UN-sweetened coconut. I’ve since made homemade coconut butter –> <--if you wanted to give that a whirl. 😉 Sorry again, Drew. I hope it doesn't deter you. 🙂

Bethany August 30, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Holy cow! These are incredible! I made the first batch just like the recipe says to make it. They were so good! But personal preferences made me adjust the next batch. I reduced the coarse salt and the maple syrup a bit. So a double batch had 1 1/2 cups of maple syrup and 2 tsp of really coarse salt. It is just right for us! They get rave reviews everywhere I bring them! Thank you for a fabulous vegan potluck offering! I don’t normally get drawn to sweets, and I daydream about these!

Sharon August 31, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Hey Bethany! So glad you had success. These are such a great whole foods option. Enjoy the week! 🙂

Sarah November 27, 2015 at 3:51 am

These taste good, but waaaay too salty.
Might do 1/2 or 1 tsp next time. And mine spread everywhere. I should have gently cut them into squares while hot though because they’re tough to cut when cool. I didn’t press the balls together tightly so maybe that would help.

Sharon November 27, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Yes, I’ve heard that these can be a tad salty. I like it, but cutting down would be good if you found them to be too much. Thanks Sarah! 🙂

Comments on this entry are closed.