Not-so-dumb Blonde Coconut Macaroons. Vegan & Gluten Free with only FOUR ingredients! All natural with no refined sugars.
This was one of the first ‘healthy’ dessert type recipes that I tried a few years back.
I didn’t have things like almond extract that is listed in the recipe I found over at Detoxinista, but I had a go with what I had.
The result is magic.
Cue angels singing! 🙂
The simple combination of coconut, maple syrup, sea salt and vanilla turns into a decadent treat that is dangerously good. By dangerous, I mean I had to take a majority of these blondies to work so Joe doesn’t eat every last one.
Unlike quinoa, he likes these…
While these goodies are easy to make, they are loud to make as a stretch in the food processor is required. I believe a high powered mixer like a Vita-Mix would also work, if you are lucky enough to have one. #jealous
Blonde Coconut Macaroons
Buzz shredded coconut in the processor for about 5 minutes on high, until it is the consistency of a soft butter.
You could also just buy the coconut butter if you are so inclined. I have ear plugs so I’m going to make my own…
Make sure you scrape the sides down once or twice.
Mix the coconut butter with the remaining shredded coconut, vanilla and sea salt.
Give it that hint of saltiness by using a coarser sea salt.
I like to smoosh a couple pieces into each macaroon before baking to make sure each one has a punch of it.
The hardest part is waiting the 25 minutes for them to set and cool. And yes, you must let these cool…they will fall apart if you try to sneak bites when they are right out of the oven.
I may or may not know this from experience…
One thing I do want to say is that, these macaroons, although consisting almost entirely of coconut, don’t really taste that coconut-y. They taste like salted buttery morsels with a hint of vanilla warmth.
They are crisp on the outside and feathery in the center.
These are awesome and made from recognizable ingredients. Do yourself a favor and whip up a batch of these goodies. This is an honest way to treat yourself!
And to those lucky dogs at work who got one…you’re welcome! 🙂
MORE VEGAN DESSERTS:
*Originally posted April 10, 2013. Updated August 7, 2019*
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I recommend a Kitchen Aid Food Processor for this recipe.
Not so dumb Blonde Macaroons. Vegan & Gluten Free with only FOUR ingredients! All natural with no refined sugars.
- 2 2/3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut, processed into butter (or 1 cup coconut butter)
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp sea salt this is a personal choice - feel free to use as little as 1/2 tsp ( Also note this is SEA SALT not TABLE SALT. There is a big difference between the two)
- Process 2 2/3 cups shredded coconut in food processor for around 5 minutes until it is smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally. I the meantime, mix the other ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the coconut butter. Mix all together and scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- These macaroons will not spread out while cooking so don't fret about them bring placed close together.
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Cook time depends on your own oven so watch closely after 20 minutes that the bottoms don't burn. They should be a golden blonde!
- Let cool for 25 minutes and store in a container for up to a week.