Sunbutter Cups with Dark Chocolate & Hemp Seeds – Vegan & Gluten Free

by Sharon on September 12, 2014

Sun Butter Cups - Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

On a recent trip to Goodness Me! I picked up a jar of Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) that was on sale. Thankfully I don’t suffer from any food allergies but I’m aware of the challenges surrounding them, especially nut allergies. It’s like everything could contain nuts! Truth be told a ton of my recipes feature peanut butter. Seeing this great alternative to peanut butter with the Sunbutter, I decided then and there to create something wonderful with it.

Sun Butter Cups-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

Actually, re-create would be a better word. I based these cups on a Honour System favourite, Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge. That  recipe gets made pretty frequently around here and is always promptly devoured. I just can’t get enough. I always prefer a chunky variety when it comes to peanut butter or almond butter so it was no different with sunflower seed butter.

So strange to see full sunflower seeds!

Sun Butter Cups-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

One of the best things about this recipe is how absolutely easy it is. Stir and pour. It’s even easier right now with the coconut oil being liquid and all! I love coconut oil in the summer. :) Always liquid.

I lined a muffin tin with paper liners and filled them a little over half way. You could even fill them less than half if you wanted smaller portions. Not to worry if you drip a little. It’s not like anyone is taking pictures or anything … 😉

Sun Butter Cups-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

Sprinkle on  a few dark chocolate chips and kick it into high gear with delicious hemps seeds. Mmmm … hemp seeds. World’s . Best . protein . ever .

Sun Butter Cups-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

Pop them into the freezer for about twenty minutes to let firm up. Note that these get melty pretty quick so keep them frozen.

Sun Butter Cups-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

These had great texture and flavour and are such a nice treat for those with nut allergies. Now just try not to eat them all. 😉

Sun Butter Cups-Vegan-Gluten-Free-Nut-Free

Serves 8

Sunbutter Cups with Dark Chocolate & Hemp Seeds – Vegan & Gluten Free

• 1 cup sunflower seed butter (I used chunky)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp hemp seeds

1. Mix sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt together in a bowl
  2. Pour mixture into a lined muffin tin ( I made 8 sunbutter cups )
  3. Sprinkle chocolate chips and hemp seeds over top and pop into the freezer for about 30 minutes to set
  4. Store in the freezer in a sealed container

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen September 12, 2014 at 8:53 am

These look delicious! I love that Sunbutter always seems to be on sale at Goodness Me haha.

Sharon September 12, 2014 at 10:07 am

Thanks so much, Chelsea! Gotta love those sales. 😉

Sondi September 12, 2014 at 11:39 am

Ooh, this is genius! I adore sunbutter, and usually I just eat it straight up with a spoon. This is a great way to use it.

Sharon September 12, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thanks so much, Sondi!! It was my first jar and I can see a lot of sunbutter recipes in my future. 😉 Looking forward to seeing you in Vancouver next month for FBC2014!!!

Sondi September 12, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Yay! Can’t wait to meet you. I won’t complain if you bring me a few of these. I’m roasting some sunflower seeds right now so I can make Sun butter and have these!

Sharon September 12, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Ooooh … roasting your own! Nice. :)

Sondi September 13, 2014 at 1:23 am

It’s ridiculously easy. My ‘recipe’ (if you can even call it that) is here: http://www.sondibruner.com/2014/02/10/roasted-sunflower-seed-butter/

Karen September 12, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Holy Hell! Sharon these are totally all for me right? 😉 Coconut oil rocks all summer long, I totally agree with you there! I’ve never seen this sunbutter before, I must find it!!!!!!
Oh and btw, LOVE your new header, it’s soo cute!

Sharon September 12, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Karen!! I’m glad you like the new header. I wanted to brighten/change things up a bit. :) Do you have Goodness Me locations where you live??

Lauren September 12, 2014 at 3:29 pm

My oldest daughter and I have been through just about every nut and seed you can think of, and we each only tolerate about four of them, between us. It’s such a shame because I love them all so much! These look so yummy, btw. I love the creamy deliciousness of nut/seed butter fudge! :)

Sharon September 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm

How awful! I wonder if that is something genetic. I’ve even heard of people developing food allergies later in life. At least there are still a few you can enjoy! Have a great weekend, Lauren. :)

Thalia @ butter and brioche September 12, 2014 at 5:18 pm

How delicious are these little cups! They definitely are a perfect sweet snack.. I must create the recipe, thanks for sharing it!

Sharon September 12, 2014 at 10:24 pm

They are pretty gorgeous, I have to admit. 😉 I hope you enjoy them. Thanks so much, Thalia!

Melissa September 12, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Wow, these look amazing! I have never tried sunbutter before. Seems delicious. Totally craving this right now. Love the pics Sharon :)

Sharon September 13, 2014 at 8:31 am

Thanks Melissa! Totally different from peanut butter but very good. It also photographs well. 😉 Have a great weekend!

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen September 18, 2014 at 11:41 am

These look delicious and love these photos! I introduced my mom to Sunbutter this summer who hasn’t had peanut butter in around 25 years – she was in heaven! :) Passing this recipe onto her!

Sharon September 18, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I hope your mom loves them! And thanks for the props on the photos. These sunbutter cups were the best models ever. 😉 Thanks Ceara!

Heather September 22, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Did the Sunbutter you used already have some sugar added?
I make my own sunbutter, and I’d like to make this freezer fudge, but I’m wondering if I should add more maple syrup than the recipe calls for since my sunbutter doesn’t have any added sweeteners.

Thanks! Looks delicious!

Sharon September 22, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Hi Heather! The brand I used contains 3 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons. Evaporated cane syrup is the sweetener listed in the ingredients. I imagine that would deem it sweetened? I hope you enjoy them. :)

Lisa September 23, 2014 at 7:17 am

Hello! What brand of hemp seeds are gluten-free? I haven’t seen any since they changed the laws.

Thank you!

Sharon September 23, 2014 at 9:19 am

Hi Lisa! I use North Coast Naturals hemp seeds. To my understanding gluten containing foods are barley, wheat, rye and oats (except gluten free oats). I have read that in some very hyper sensitive Celiac disease suffers there may be a reaction but this is extremely rare. I haven’t read about any laws being changed though? I really wasn’t even aware that there were laws pertaining to gluten!

Lisa September 23, 2014 at 9:24 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Sharon!

North Coast Naturals hemp seeds contain no gluten by ingredients, but they cannot state they aren’t cross-contaminated with other things available in their product line.

Just as an FYI, I am new to your blog so I am not sure you know this or if you have celiac disease, but there isn’t such thing as “very hyper sensitive”. All people with celiac disease, whether they feel the reaction or not, still do damage if they eat gluten-containing foods.

I am not sure , also, what country you are in, but assuming Canada (“honour”, and North Coast Naturals), yes, in 2012 the CFIA came out with new laws for gluten, specifically. The US followed suit this past year.

In any event, these look great and I can just nix the hemp seeds!

Sharon September 23, 2014 at 11:59 am

Thanks for the info Lisa! It just goes to show how much misinformation is out there. Thankfully I do not suffer form Celiac but I always want to be sensitive to those who do. Would this be true for other seeds such as chia, sesame, etc. ?

Lisa September 24, 2014 at 7:41 am

Hi, Sharon,

It’s not the hemp seeds, chia, sesame, et cetera on their own. It’s the cross-contamination in the plant, so they have to be purchased from a reputable manufacturer. So, some brands are same, and some aren’t.

If you were cooking for others you should double check. If you are just looking out for those who read your site (when you mention being sensitive to others, which is appreciated!), then I would just be sure to note to check labels/manufacturers.

Most people with celiac disease would be privy to knowing the steps to take to eliminate cross-contamination, unless they are new to the diet.

Either way, thank you for your response! I didn’t want you to think I was telling you that you did anything wrong. I used to use a brand of hemp seeds and then when the law came out, suddenly they weren’t labelled anymore. It was interesting to see so many manufacturers drop a “gluten-free” claim as soon as they had to show proof it was gluten-free. Just shows what guidelines can do to bring the truth out! (and how companies will use trends and buzz words as marketing.)

Michele @ Two Raspberries September 26, 2014 at 7:44 am

oh my gosh! these look wayyy too good! sunflower butter!!!…what a great twist on the regular PB cup 😉 these look delicious! pinned!!!

Sharon September 26, 2014 at 9:48 am

Thanks Michele! It’s so nice for nut allergy suffers to have an alternative. No one should live without some kind of cup in their life. 😉

Brittany February 27, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Hi, this recipe looks great! I can’t wait to try it out! I was wondering if I could use it on a blog post I am writing about healthy peanut-free snacks. I would only be using a photo and will link back to this post for the recipe.

Sharon February 27, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Hey Brittany! Please share with anyone and everyone. :) Thanks.

Katy July 18, 2015 at 1:24 pm

These look absolutely delicious but is there an alternative to using coconut oil? I can’t use it seeing as my mom is allergic.

Sharon July 18, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Hey Katy! Coconut oil is so good for keeping these solid. If you aren’t worried about the recipe being vegan, a melted butter would work.

Stephanie August 14, 2015 at 3:08 pm

How much melted butter would you suggest. My son is also allergic to coconut.

Sharon August 16, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Equal parts melted butter for coconut oil should do the trick. :)

Michelle August 14, 2015 at 11:42 am

What could i use instead of coconut oil ? My daughter has a peanut and tree nut allergy.

Sharon August 16, 2015 at 6:35 pm

You could swap out melted butter instead. Equal parts to the coconut oil. :)

Krista April 4, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I have a tree nut allergy yet consume coconut. Just thought I’d mention it in case your allergist didn’t specifically mention avoiding coconut:)

Krista April 4, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I’ve made these many times and love how easy & yummy they are!

Sharon April 5, 2016 at 11:44 am

Yay! Thanks so much Krista. :)

Sharon September 13, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks Sondi! Doing it yourself is always better. :) Enjoy the weekend!