This Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash with Chicken and Quinoa is a tasty gluten free meal with some kick! The squash is roasted with garlic and shallots and makes this dish so delicious.
Tis the season for all things squash. While pumpkin seems to get top billing, I always veer towards the spaghetti or butternut (just typed butterbut) varieties.
Don’t tell anyone but, pumpkin doesn’t really blow my socks off.
We all know my love for the spaghetti squash. I’ve joked in the past how I should just change all my statuses to “in a relationship” with spaghetti squash. It’s the real thing. 😉
I also love the delicious roasty-toasty goodness of the butternut squash. Joe likes it too which is always a mini victory. I actually give him a ton of credit. He will try everything and he will eat almost anything.
Sometimes he doesn’t absolutely love it but because he knows it good for him and, well, a man’s gotta eat, he will clean his plate. Ever so slowly, his tastes have changed and he pretty much enjoys what I cook, even looks forward to it sometimes, I must say. 😉
And this dish, my friends, is a favourite of his. A veggie centered man pleaser. You might think it’s sounds like a fairy tale but it’s not.
Or maybe it is, but I live in the fairy tale, in which case is really good for me. 😉
Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash with Chicken and Quinoa
Throwing this together is not hard.
Choppity, chop, chop of the squash and shallots, followed by some smashed garlic cloves.
Toss ’em all together with some olive oil and a little heat in the form of chili flakes.
Off they go to roast.
Meanwhile, cook up your quinoa and sauté a few more shallots with some garlic and olive oil.
The squash comes out with a nice crispy crust and a ton of flavour from the shallots, garlic and chilies.
With some Chili Lime Chicken already cooked up from earlier in the week, I simply tossed everything together in a large bowl and served it family style with a nice side of greens.
A delicious way to enjoy that beautiful, seasonal butternut squash.
Feel free to adjust the spice how you like it.
As is, I would say it’s three out of five on the hotness scale.
Leave out the chicken and add some black beans or chickpeas for a great meatless option!
*Originally posted October 8, 2014. Updated February 13, 2019*
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- FOR THE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- 1 butternut squash peeled & cut into small chunks
- 3 shallots quartered
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- FOR THE QUINOA
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cooked chicken breasts cut into cubes
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with foil
- Toss diced squash, shallots and garlic with olive oil, chili flakes, sea salt & pepper
- Spread evenly onto baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn (check with a fork for tenderness)
- Meanwhile cook quinoa according to package directions
- In a small sauce pan, heat 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil over medium low heat. Add the remaining thinly sliced shallots and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for about another minute or two until the garlic has also softened
Stir cooked quinoa together with the roasted squash, cooked chicken (I use chili lime ) and sautéed shallots with garlic