Food Revolution Day 2013 Part Two: Chocolate & Almond Butter Crunch Bars + My Top 5 Snack Ideas

by Sharon on May 17, 2013

Chocolate Crunch Bars

Good Afternoon, all! I hope everyone is enjoying all of the events of the day so far. I’m so encouraged by the efforts of Sue Abell and her team of incredible volunteers. Great job done by all:)

As promised in Part One, this is today’s bonus post for the Food Revolution movement. I wanted to do a treat that kids of all ages would enjoy. Keeping in mind peanut allergies I subbed out peanut butter from my peanut butter cups for almond butter and added a new element.

The inspiration for this chocolate bar was a bag of puffed quinoa Joe’s mom gave me to try.

My goal was to re-create a Nestle Crunch bar with healthy, nutritious, but equally delicious ingredients.

It was an easy prep. Have the kids help with measuring out the ingredients and stirring. Or you can do it yourself super fast and be eating them sooner:) Your call…

All you have to do is measure and stir…

…pour into parchment lined mini loaf tins. You could also use lined muffin tins or a parchment lined square pan.

Licking the bowl is mandatory:)

Freeze for 15 minutes and store in the fridge/freezer in a sealed container

I ended up cutting these bars in half for better portion control. I wanted these to last longer! Very, very good. I could also see using puffed brown rice in this recipe as well.

This was quick and easy and, seriously, google the health benefits of coconut oil. These bars are nothing but good for you.

The following are my top 5 favourite snack recipes. I hope you enjoy your time in the kitchen creating magic for your family and for yourself!

Crispy Chewy Brown Rice Balls

• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup puffed quinoa

1. Line your pan with parchment
  2. Combine all ingredients and stir
  3. Pour into pan and freeze for 10 minutes

Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian May 18, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I love crunch bars and I know they’re terrible for you. I love this idea! Kudos for being so creative.

Sharon May 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Enjoy the guilt free goodness:)

LC May 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm

OMG these look fantastic! That’s so creative to use them for a crunch bar-type recipe. I’ve never even heard of puffed quinoa and would have no idea what to do with it!

Sharon May 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm

They are so good! That batch was gone before I knew it…Look for puffed quinoa in the bulk bins.

LC May 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I will!!

Erika October 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Can I use amaranth instead of puffed quinoa?

Sharon October 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I haven’t tried it with amaranth but, I think if it was puffed it should be a fine swap. Let me know if it works out!

Sara May 27, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Made them! Wow! five stars – thank you ! No one in the family believes they are healthy.. made your quinua today for dinner also with a tomato paste and coconut milk sauce – ( ihad planned on making your bolognese sauce but time didnt permit the shopping – my creamy red sauce wasnt bad.. had no idea how great a sub the quinoa would be for pasta! delish! thank you!

Sharon May 27, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I love it when people can’t believe things I make are healthy. It shows that good food is just that. Good food! As far as quinoa as a sub for pasta…I know! It’s been years now since I’ve eaten standard white pasta and I’ve never looked back…
Thanks so much for your positive feedback! It’s muchly appreciated:)

Kara September 9, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Sharon! Thank you for your wonderful recipes. I had some quinoa puffs sitting in my cupboard (intended to be used for cereal) and loved the idea of using them in a dessert! I’m happy to say that all your recipes that I have tried (5-7) in the past 5 days are excellent. So happy I discovered your blog. Looking forward to trying many more!

Sharon September 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thanks, Kara! I’m glad you found me, too :) These bars are a favourite of my very picky boyfriend so I’m sure you’ll love them! Thanks again for the kind words!

Ankita October 17, 2013 at 2:33 am

Hey! Sounds so yumm and easy to make!
I have a question though, does puffed quinoa mean raw quinoa grain or are you supposed to cook it?

Sharon October 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hi Ankita! Puffed quinoa is actually similiar to a puffed cereal (think rice crispies). It can be bought in the bulk stores. If you can’t find it puffed brown rice also works well.

Alanna November 6, 2013 at 7:55 pm

These look epically delicious, and that ingredient list is killer. I’m making these ASAP!!

Sharon November 6, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I know, right?! These are a perennial favourite for us :)

Eva @ Pastel Bakery November 30, 2013 at 10:08 pm

These look absolutely delish…& so easy to make!

Sharon November 30, 2013 at 11:00 pm

They are indeed both :) You will love these! Thanks for the comment.

Krista December 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Wow,these are good. I used Agave nectar instead of maple syrup. For those of you also counting points with weight watchers, I cut them into 15 pieces & I calculated the Points Plus Value @ 3.

Sharon December 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the calculation Krista! I’m glad you like these. They are a favourite of ours :)

Lauren May 21, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Girl, these look awesome! Is the quinoa soft or actually crunchy? I’m heading to TJs tomorrow and would love to give these a try!! :-)

Sharon May 21, 2014 at 11:26 pm

It’s not quite crunchy yet not quite soft either. It just gives a nice texture. If you want a bit more of the crunch factor puffed rice is nice. :)

Lil Fiest April 16, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Hi Lisa,

I love the ideas of these bars. Unfortunately, I can’t do coconut oil What would be a good alternative. Anxious to make these. Thanks.

Sharon April 16, 2015 at 9:38 pm

If you’re not vegan, a nice melted organic butter should work. Good luck! :)

Rachel April 28, 2015 at 9:23 pm

These. Are. Awesome. I tried puffing my own quinoa or amaranth and that didn’t really work for me, so I used a puffed cereal instead. Will try again with different ‘puffy’ things! :)

Sharon April 28, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Rachel! This one is a classic, for sure. :)

Rachel O. September 4, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I didn’t have any luck popping quinoa. It either burnt immediately or didn’t pop at all! But I used a puffed boxed cereal instead, and these turned out so delicious!!! Will definitely make these again and again!

Sharon September 5, 2015 at 11:51 am

I usually buy it already puffed at the bulk store. I’ve never tried to pop it myself. :) I’m glad you enjoyed them. Using any kind of crispy cereal would probably work well. Lots of variety with this one. :)