Sometimes the only answer is soup. This Chicken Vegetable Quinoa Soup is a fun twist on the classic chicken noodle. By swapping in quinoa for the noodles this nutritious soup is now also gluten free. Three cheers for healthy comfort food!
Sometimes you just need a little chicken soup, if you know what I mean.
The weather is getting blustery … I’ve been more travelling than usual … the days are darker and shorter … I’ve been sick … These are all very good reasons to dig out the soup pot and get some warmth and comfort.
CHICKEN VEGETABLE QUINOA SOUP
I was inspired by Chelsea’s homemade chicken noodle soup. As soon as I saw her post I knew chicken soup of some kind was in my future.
There is something therapeutic about a piping bowl of brothy goodness.
Back in the day, my attendance record at school was really good. My mom prided herself on us not only getting to school on time but going every day. She would even schedule dentist appointments during our lunch hour so we wouldn’t miss any time.
However, things like the chicken pox happened and the flu happened, so there were times when there was no way we could go to school. Those days were spent on the couch, blanketed with a hand knit afghan, and sipping chicken soup.
I watched the Price is Right.
Is it weird that I really look back fondly at being sick? 😉
Anyways, onto the soup.
It’s super quick and easy. The base is the golden trio of onions, carrots and celery.
I also added in the immune boosting goodness of fresh minced garlic.
That should kick this cough I’ve been fighting in the butt!
Toss in the chicken, cover it with broth and let the whole thing bubble up nice.
Some fresh parsley and a big ole scoop of quinoa completes the picture.
QUINOA PREP TIP!:
Don’t forget to rinse those seeds thoroughly, people!
If you didn’t know, quinoa has this soapy tasting coating called saponin on it and soapy is no good in this soup.
Or anything for that matter.
Rinse it good.
Treat yourself to some coziness this Fall.
Any chicken soup will do. 🙂
MORE GLUTEN FREE SOUP RECIPES:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a German Soup Pot with a non toxic ceramic coating for my soup recipes.
For my Instant Pot Recipes I use the Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt
- Set a large soup pot over medium low heat with the olive oil and butter
- Once the butter has melted, add the onion, carrots and celery, season with sea salt & pepper and sauté until soft. About 10 minutes. Add in the garlic and dried thyme and stir for another minute
- Add in the broth and the chicken breasts and bring everything to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove chicken breasts from the liquid and shred with a knife and fork. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Pour in the dried quinoa and fresh parsley and cook for another 10 minutes