This Zucchini Banana Bread is like a warm, whole foods hug from your oven. And who doesn’t love veggies baked into things? Using spelt flour and subbing in coconut oil and coconut sugar instead of butter and the bleached out, refined sugar makes this loaf wholesome, dairy free AND delicious.
Like many people who are into eating seasonally, I found myself with copious amounts of zucchini last week. Add in the browning bananas on the counter and I had the perfect scenario for something yummy, something baked, something to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea after dinner. This something became Zucchini Banana Bread. And it was good. Buh-lieve me. 😉
I haven’t been using the oven much lately as summer is in full swing here in beautiful Vancouver. We live pretty much right on the beach and things can get pretty toasty in our bright and sunny apartment.
It’s all worth it though, with these views.
My strategy for not turning our house into a raging inferno was to bake my bread early. Luckily the west coast breeze from the water is pretty cool in the AM, so I got up a little earlier than usual and set about bread baking.
Besides the obvious fact that baked goods are tasty, another added reward is the delectable aromas that begin to seep from your oven. This might sound corny, but it’s like makes your home more home-y. Do you know what I mean?
Setting the baked loaf on the window sill was such a moment. I was like, who am I? Betty Crocker? Here I am, complete with fancy apron ( It was gift from my best friend Julie when I started my blog in 2013. Mwah, mwah!) placing a homemade Zucchini Banana Bread on a frickin’ window sill to cool! What a transformation from the girl who used to either eat out or have toast for dinner. 😉
So, if like me you find yourself with zucchini to use up this is a very heartwarming way to do it. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 bananas the browner the better
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini
- Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 9x5 loaf pan (I use a coconut oil spray)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside
- In a large bowl mash the bananas until it's pretty lump free, then stir in the coconut sugar, maple syrup, egg, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Bit by bit, add the flour mixture, stirring well each time incorporate it. Set aside.
- Squeeze the moisture out of the grated zucchini by placing it in the middle of a double layer of paper towels and squeezing out the water over the sink. Fold the zucchini into the batter
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, checking that a toothpick in the centre of the loaf comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then cool completely, on a window sill if you can. 😉