Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nothing says classic like Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies! This delicious cookie recipe uses sprouted grain flour and is naturally sweetened with maple syrup. The perfect snack with an icy cold glass of milk.
I shared another oatmeal cookie recipe back in the early days of the Honour System that was a gluten free, flourless variety.
This one is not.
OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
This cookie recipe has flour (sprouted grain, though 😉 ), it has butter, it has eggs. Think of it as an old school oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe with a healthier, whole foods twist.
HOW IS SPROUTED GRAIN FLOUR HEALTHIER?
Sprouting grains increases many of the grains’ key nutrients, including B vitamins, vitamin C, folate, ﬁber, and essential amino acids often lacking in grains, such as lysine. Sprouted grains may also be less allergenic to those with grain protein sensitivities.
Sprouting grains also breaks down phytate, a form of phytic acid that normally decreases absorption of vitamins and minerals in the body. So sprouted grains have more available nutrients than mature grains. Those nutrients include iron, zinc, magnesium, and protein
We had to refrain from eating the entire batch!
I wanted enough cookies leftover to take photos of the next day. It was a good lesson in restraint for us. 😉 I’m not one who can freeze treats to eat for later. I’ll eat most of what I make within two days.
What can I say? We like our food around here.
So when I mentioned the ingredients earlier, you will have seen butter among them. Dairy/animal products that I buy are organic and grass fed, when available. It’s important to me and makes my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies a much better alternative to the store bought, chemical variety.
If you feel like cookies, go for these.
But, don’t blame me if you eat the whole darned batch. 😉
MORE HEALTHY COOKIE RECIPES:
Gluten Free Thumbprint Cookies
Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Almond Butter Flaxseed Cookies
Banana Bread Breakfast Cookies
Fudgy Chocolate Avocado Cookies
*Originally posted November 18, 2015 Updated December 12, 2019*
Be sure to follow me on social media! I love pinning to Pinterest, sharing on Facebook and posting pics to Instagram. See you there. 🙂
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sprouted grain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Pre heat the oven to 325
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl using a wooden spoon, cream together the softened butter with the coconut sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla. Set aside
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and oats.
- Stir the dry mixture into the butter mixture until just combined then stir in the chocolate chips
- Drop heaping tablespoons onto the lined baking sheet, 4 rows of 4. These don't spread out too much
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, checking that the bottoms don't burn.
- Let cool on the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container