Is it strange that I’ve never once cooked or baked with pumpkin? Growing up, pumpkins were strictly for carving. I recall thinking my sister was so weird for roasting the seeds that we would pluck out of the goo. Well, things have changed. Pumpkin recipes seem to be all the rage on Pinterest and various food blogs that I read so I have challenged myself to get on the pumpkin train.
I used canned pumpkin puree which made things very easy. Do others actually roast up full pumpkins? Kudos if you do 🙂
A scoop of organic sour cream added some tang and a bit of melted butter helped to keep these cupcakes spongy and moist.
My go to flour of choice is, as always, spelt flour. Spelt is the best alternative to traditional GMO wheat flour. It is so good for baking, you would never know that it wasn’t nutritionally void all-purpose. Highly, highly recommend the spelt. Adding in the usual pumpkin pie related spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger gives these cupcakes a warm, toasty fall inspired flavour.
After all the ingredients are mixed together scoop them into your lined muffin tins.
Bake them until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Your house will smell incredible! However, if you don’t have time to bake up these beauties and still want your house to be filled the relaxing aromas of the fall season, check out my fall inspired natural air freshener!
Making the chocolate glaze for these cupcakes couldn’t be simpler. Add a dollop of coconut oil to some dark chocolate chips and pop into the microwave for 35-45 seconds. Give it a good stir and … presto! A much healthier option for a chocolate topping. So rich and velvety.
Using the same spoon you used to stir up your glaze, because why make more dishes for yourself, drizzle the chocolate over top of the cupcakes.
I’m telling you I was so excited about how this pumpkin thing was coming together!
Could these look any more delicious?
Not to toot my own horn but when I brought these babies into work to share with my taste testers they were pretty darn popular. One of the girls asked me if I ever make anything that doesn’t taste amazing. Toot toot 😉
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- For the Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- For the Chocolate Glaze
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tin
- In a medium bowl, whisk together spelt flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the butter, sour cream, and pumpkin puree
- Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until fully combined, then stir in the cane sugar
- Add in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Spoon batter into lined muffin tin
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwaveable bowl and microwave for 35-45 seconds. Stir well until smooth
- Transfer cupcakes from muffin tins to a wire rack that has parchment paper underneath it for easier clean up
- Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped pecans