I’ve embarked on an ongoing quest for pre-workout fuel that won’t weigh you down. My old standby of coffee wasn’t cutting it anymore and I came up with these Almond Butter Coconut Energy Balls. Delicious! Now, I’m upping my game and sharing with you something even more delicious. Something chocolatey! Who doesn’t love chocolatey?
To make these babies naturally sweet, I used my go-to honey, a fabulous local product from Mancini’s.
By the way, the honey wasn’t the only thing that was sunny and bright when I whipped up these bites of energy. The sun actually made an appearance here in Southern Ontario!! We’ve had a brutal winter to say the least. From ice storms to blizzards and everything in between. Even though spring has sprung in a lot of the country, my neck of the woods has continued to be dull and grey. But not this blessed Sunday. Today we enjoyed sunshine and a balmy ten plus degrees. I know it’s not much, but I’ll totally take it!
You know who else loved the rays this afternoon? My beautiful boy, Louis, that’s who.
He blissed out in this patch of sun and didn’t move a muscle for hours. Needless to say, the bed didn’t get made. 😉
OK, back to the balls! Gluten free oats and chia seeds are going to give these the staying power to get you through your workout, the afternoon, Dancing with the Stars, whatever you need.
After melting together some almond butter with the honey, I added in some raw cacao powder and vanilla. Combine this with the oats and chia seeds and mix it up again. I let this chill for a bit before adding the chocolate chips. This is so the chips keep their shape, otherwise they would just melt into the mixture.
Roll it out into golf ball sized rounds and that’s it! Energizing, tasty, decadent, but most of all healthy!
As I like to say, BOOM!!
Yields 16 balls
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey (use maple syrup for vegan recipe)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt together the almond butter and honey, then stir in the cacao powder, sea salt and vanilla. Stir well until everything is combined
- In a mixing bowl stir together the chia seeds and oats
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the oats and seeds and mix well. I used my fingers to really blend it well
- Pop the mixture in the fridge for 5 minutes to cool down
- Add in the chocolate chips and roll into balls
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container