No Bake Chocolate Chia Power Balls

by Sharon on April 7, 2014

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls-

I’ve embarked on an ongoing quest for pre-workout fuel that won’t weigh you down. My old standby of coffee wasn’t cutting it anymore and I came up with these Almond Butter Coconut Energy Balls. Delicious! Now, I’m upping my game and sharing with you something even more delicious. Something chocolatey! Who doesn’t love chocolatey?

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls-6

To make these babies naturally sweet, I used my go-to honey, a fabulous local product from Mancini’s.

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls-2

By the way, the honey wasn’t the only thing that was sunny and bright when I whipped up these bites of energy. The sun actually made an appearance here in Southern Ontario!! We’ve had a brutal winter to say the least. From ice storms to blizzards and everything in between. Even though spring has sprung in a lot of the country, my neck of the woods has continued to be dull and grey. But not this blessed Sunday. Today we enjoyed sunshine and a balmy ten plus degrees. I know it’s not much, but I’ll totally take it!

You know who else loved the rays this afternoon? My beautiful boy, Louis, that’s who.

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls

He blissed out in this patch of sun and didn’t move a muscle for hours. Needless to say, the bed didn’t get made. πŸ˜‰

OK, back to the balls! Gluten free oats and chia seeds are going to give these the staying power to get you through your workout, the afternoon, Dancing with the Stars, whatever you need.

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls-3

After melting together some almond butter with the honey, I added in some raw cacao powder and vanilla. Combine this with the oats and chia seeds and mix it up again. I let this chill for a bit before adding the chocolate chips. This is so the chips keep their shape, otherwise they would just melt into the mixture.

Roll it out into golf ball sized rounds and that’s it! Energizing, tasty, decadent, but most of all healthy!

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls-5

As I like to say, BOOM!!

Chocolate Chia Energy Balls-4

Yields 16 balls

No Bake Chocolate Chia Power Balls

• 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/3 cup honey (use maple syrup for vegan recipe)
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
  • ΒΌ cup chia seeds
  • pinch sea salt
  • ΒΌ cup dark chocolate chips

1. In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt together the almond butter and honey, then stir in the cacao powder, sea salt and vanilla. Stir well until everything is combined
  2. In a mixing bowl stir together the chia seeds and oats
  3. Pour the chocolate mixture over the oats and seeds and mix well. I used my fingers to really blend it well
  4. Pop the mixture in the fridge for 5 minutes to cool down
  5. Add in the chocolate chips and roll into balls
  6. Store in the fridge in a sealed container

Click for Nutrition Stats

Kaitlin @ The Garden Grazer April 7, 2014 at 8:26 am

Yesssss! Thanks goodness I have all these ingredients hanging out in my pantry because these are so happening today!!! Is it wrong I want them for breakfast right now? πŸ˜‰

Sharon April 7, 2014 at 9:18 am

I’m having one right now! πŸ˜‰ Thanks Kaitlin!

Julia April 7, 2014 at 9:39 am

Glorious day, these power balls look amazing! I love all the healthful ingredients and I bet they taste fabulous! Your kitty cat is such a doll! I have one at home too…I could definitely curl up with my furry friend and munch on some power bites!

Sharon April 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

I love fellow cat people! :) I also love balls! Ummm. You know what I mean. πŸ˜‰ Thanks Julia!

Karen @ Kama Fitness April 8, 2014 at 9:27 am

Awwww Louis is so adorable! Love him, such a cutie! Oh & these chocolate balls look amazing too, especially with added chocolate chips!!!

Sharon April 8, 2014 at 9:57 am

Thanks Karen! Lou loves compliments. πŸ˜‰ I guess I do, too! Have a great week.

Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens April 8, 2014 at 10:32 am

Oh, Sharon … I am sooooo with you! First, on how difficult it is to make a bed in which an adorable animal looks all fluffy and cute and cuddly (my laundry piles sometimes don’t get folded for the exact same reason – my little dog Finn claims that warm just-out-of-the-drier real estate, and I can’t stand to kick him out!). And second … you know how much I love power balls! These are terrific in every way! Loaded with protein and fiber (and perhaps most important …) chocolate! Triple yum! πŸ˜€

Sharon April 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Nothing better than a cuddly-soft fur baby. :) Except maybe balls!! πŸ˜‰ Thanks Shelley!

Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods April 8, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Oh, wow these looks tasty! I’m a huge fan of buying local honey. I have allergies and I think it really helps not be so effected by local allergens. I’m so happy to hear that you finally got a little visit from the sun. We keep getting teased. A day of sunshine and then a few days of snow and dark skies. One day Spring will really be here and we’ll see new growth and sun on a regular basis.

Sharon April 8, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Local honey for the win! :) I’ve made a conscious effort to support local businesses whenever I can.

The sun will be here soon for both of us! I definitely won’t be complaining about the heat once summer finally arrives. πŸ˜‰ Have a great week, Cindy!

Alexander April 8, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Is it a messy recipe? For example, when cacao, honey and butter are melted, would I be able to pour all of it out without any hassle? I don’t like wasting ingredients and it seems like maybe a lot of the melted goodness will stay on the sides of the pot. No?

Sharon April 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I use a spatula to give the sides a good scrape. I usually get anything left behind with a soup spoon and do a little taste-testing. πŸ˜‰

Alexander April 8, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Yeah, I completely forgot about this one, I do that too all the time, especially if it’s something good, even raw πŸ˜€

Dearna @tohercore April 9, 2014 at 8:09 am

Oh yum, these look like the perfect little chocolatey treats! Everything tastes better with chocolate :) Also, your cat is the cutest thing – he definitely is looking happy at having the sun back!

Sharon April 9, 2014 at 9:29 am

Isn’t he the cutest little angel? Not so cute sometimes at 3am when he likes to let out howling meows. Maybe because he can’t have chocolate? πŸ˜‰

EyeCandyPopper April 15, 2014 at 8:40 pm

YUM!!!! I’m a big fan of powerballs/blissballs, I always make a batch and leave it in the fridge to use during the week.

Sharon April 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I actually just put a batch in the fridge! Best thing for a quick bite. :)

Joanne April 29, 2014 at 2:26 pm

This looks soo yummy! I love recipes that don’t take too long to make with ingredients that are easy to find. And I’m a bit of a snacker so having these kinds of healthy & yummy treats are so awesome! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

Sharon April 29, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Thanks so much Joanne! :) It sounds like you and I share a mutual love of snacking. πŸ˜‰ These are fabulous. I love them right out of the fridge when the chocolate chips are icy cold.

Andrea May 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Any way to figure out the calories per ball? I use my fitness pal and would love to track this since it’s my mid afternoon snack!

Sharon May 14, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Great idea for a snack! I love these. I think they may be around 300 calories give or take 50? I really don’t know though. Does my fitness pal have a calorie counter on their site?

Joyce July 28, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Finally something without Date !!! Yummy

Sharon July 28, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I hear ya with the dates. I love them but it always requires lugging out the food processor. That thing is heavy! πŸ˜‰ Thanks Joyce!

Pauline August 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Hi what can I use instead of almond butter please? I’ve heard it’s good for you but my wee boy is not allowed anything with nuts into school. I’m not sure about almond butter but I’d still like an alternative. Also it’s really expensive in Dubai where we live (we are from Scotland though)!

Sharon August 18, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hey Pauline! Greetings from Canada! :) Nut butters can be tricky to sub unfortunately. You can definitely sub peanut butter as its much more cost effective and maybe you could still enjoy these at home at least? Must be so different to be in Dubai compared to Scotland!

Holly August 22, 2014 at 10:34 pm

You could try sunflower seed butter it’s a good substitute when you can’t have nuts. Looks and tastes very close to peanut butter.

Sharon August 22, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Great idea! Thanks so much Holly. :) I’ll have to try sunflower seed butter.

Penelope November 13, 2014 at 9:56 am

Looks good! Can I sub ground chia for the whole chia?

Sharon November 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Sure! You would lose a little of that texture from the crunch of the seeds but I’m pretty sure it would work. :)

Chris Meylan November 13, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I can’t eat almond butter. Is there something else I could substitute?

Sharon November 13, 2014 at 11:39 pm

You could totally use peanut butter or any kind of nut or seed butter like cashew or sunflower seed butter. They will all have different tastes.

Shellee March 26, 2015 at 11:33 am

Definitely making these today! I make something very similar and freeze them…otherwise I’d eat too many if they were in the fridge! They freeze great! Just take out what you need (haha…need!) and let them defrost on the counter or pop into microwave for a few seconds and indulge!

Sharon March 26, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Eating too many is always my problem. πŸ˜‰ Thanks Shellee!

Jes April 1, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Made these today as written, reminds me of the popular no bake chocolate pb cookies except I really love the added texture from the Chia seeds! All of the added calories and sugar from the honey still kind of make me think of this recipe as a guilty pleasure. So I made another batch except I only added 1tbs. honey and used 1/3c. mashed ripe banana for the sweetener. Came out great, they do have that slight banana taste but still chocolatey and held up just as well when rolled. Original recipe is great! But if you are wanting to cut a few more cals/sugar try subbing with the banana! My fitness pal clocked this at 120 calories and 6 grams of sugar per ball

Sharon April 1, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Love the swaps for cutting calories! Thanks Jes. :) I think as long as the chia is there, these will be delicious. Have a great long weekend!

Rhiannon April 12, 2015 at 4:46 pm

these balls are the best! I’ve tried a few other recipes (and my own inventions) that were usually pretty good, but these are by far the tastiest. love them! thanks for posting :)

Sharon April 12, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Thanks so much Rhiannon! These are one of my faves too. Enjoy the energy. :)

Crystal April 29, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Hi, they taste amazing! Check out my instagram (website) to see a picture of how they turned out. I changed around a couple ingredients so I could use what I already had in my house but it turned out so so good, thank you for the recipe

Sharon April 30, 2015 at 8:46 am

My pleasure Crystal! So glad you loved them. I like using up what you have too! :) Enjoy the rest of your week!

Gila M July 11, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi Sharon, Delicious tasting but I did have a challenge getting the mixture to roll into balls. It simply fell apart. Any suggestions? Do I need to add more of a certain ingredient to get it all to bind? Thanks.

Sharon July 12, 2015 at 9:05 am

hi Gila! Sorry they didn’t hold to well for you. Consistency of the honey and peanut butter could be the case. I would add more of either/both of those to help the stick factor. Maybe a tablespoon or two. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

Kelsey Peters July 18, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Absolutely love these! I make them for my 3 year old son all the time and he eats every bite! Such a healthy alternative to a late night snack or a yummy dessert! Thanks for this recipe!!!

Sharon July 19, 2015 at 8:51 am

Thanks Kelsey! I love when kids are fans. :) Have a great weekend!

Anna October 27, 2015 at 10:42 am

can I use regular cocoa powder instead of raw cocoa if I can’t find that and if so, would I have to double that? I live in Germany and looking at most of the energy bites recipes I get the feeling we have like no food here . I have never seen almond butter in any store, neither chocolate chips. At first I was thinking about making the almond butter myself but then I saw that I would need a food processor, which I don’t have unfortunately. You guys don’t think an immersion blender would do, right?

Sharon October 27, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Hi Anna! It’s funny you say that because we just moved from one side of Canada to the other and I feel like the food situation is totally different! Cocoa powder is fine and should be swapped out in equal amounts. The cacao is just a better nutritional choice. Less processing. I don’t know about almond butter in an immersion blender. Probably wouldn’t work. Peanut butter could be subbed out for that though. As for chocolate chips? Yikes. You should start importing them and open a chocolate chip store in Germany. You’d be SO busy! I hope this helps. :)

Teri November 2, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Hey all!
I just wanted to say that the chia power balls are awesome! I didnt have chocolate but they still turned out great.

Sincerly from Vienna,

Sharon November 3, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Teri! You’re a doll for leaving such a lovely comment. Love Vienna! Travelled there in 2000 and it was one of the most beautiful cities I visited in Europe. :)

Isabelle December 2, 2015 at 1:30 pm

I am late to the party but I made these for the first time last weekend and was seriously smitten. I did not have any choc chips so I used cocoa nibs instead, and that worked really well too (the slightly bitter taste of the cocoa nibs against the sweetness of the balls). I just love the consistency of these balls – a bit gooey, chewy (I added a few dried sour cherries) but crunchy at the same time.

I work a job where I don’t really have time to sit down and have a lunch break, so these are really handy for me to just pop one in my mouth once my stomach starts growling, and carry on working. Only problem is, the first batch was supposed to last me all week and only lasted 2 days (!) so am about to make another batch for the second half of the week.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe.
Isabelle (Brighton, UK)

Sharon December 3, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Thanks Isabelle! I have the same problem with them not lasting as long as intended. πŸ˜‰ I love these types of snacks for grab and go. I appreciate you taking the time to leave such a thoughtful comment. :) Enjoy the rest of your week!

Star Cole April 16, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Please send me the nutrition info since i am unable to get it on the link u have…. thanx

Sharon June 20, 2016 at 8:12 am

Hi Sharon, just wondering if I could replace the chocolate chips for Cacao nibs?

Sharon June 20, 2016 at 8:16 am

Sorry to bother you, it may have helped if I read other comments. Just saw someone else say they tried Cacao nibs and it worked so I’m going to go and make these delicious looking balls! Thank you so much

Sharon June 20, 2016 at 11:27 am

Hey Sharon! Yes, the cacao nibs work perfectly. :) I hope you enjoy!

Ceara Oliver October 2, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Please someone, anyone tell me that you all are talking about Chai seeds, and not Chia seeds… Because all I can picture is I don’t know how many people putting plant seeds in these powerballs…